Quaratine Tank Question

christinaja

So I have a 30 gal quaratine tank set up right now, well sorta.
It has an internal filter and a HOB filter and I stuck a heater in there, and of course it has saltwater. But I was wondering if I have to cycle this tank too, before I use it for fish quaratine?
Cause I'm going to take this tank down and sterilize it after each use, so would I have to cycle it each time?
Thanks, Christina

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3080159
So I have a 30 gal quaratine tank set up right now, well sorta.
It has an internal filter and a HOB filter and I stuck a heater in there, and of course it has saltwater. But I was wondering if I have to cycle this tank too, before I use it for fish quaratine?
Cause I'm going to take this tank down and sterilize it after each use, so would I have to cycle it each time?
Thanks, Christina
Hey Christina, You will need to cycle the QT. If you intend to tear it down after each use, then pick up some sponge filters. Add them to your sump in a high flow area. They will become colonized with biological bacteria. Each time that you need your QT you can add the sponge filters into it. They will help out with biological filtration. It isn't the best way, but it will work. Keep a bottle of Amquel Plus on hand. It takes several months to seed the sponges though.

christinaja

Thank you sepulatian, :)
I have one more question-could I stick some pieces of LR in there instead of a sponge to start the cycle? I was thinking of doing that and then taking them out before the fish go in, but will that cause the tank to cycle again since I took out alot of the bacteria?

robertmathern

Originally Posted by Christinaja
http:///forum/post/3080995
Thank you sepulatian, :)
I have one more question-could I stick some pieces of LR in there instead of a sponge to start the cycle? I was thinking of doing that and then taking them out before the fish go in, but will that cause the tank to cycle again since I took out alot of the bacteria?
You could use some live rock but filter sponge can house more bacteria. Also if you have to dose anything to the tank you can just throw the sponge away with out costing you much.