Queen angel in 260 reef?

could i house a queen angel in my 260 gallon reef tank if i got the angel when it was really little before it changes colors? and raise it from tiny baby to full size adult? if this makes sence?

swimmer4uus

I'm not familiar with Queen Angles, but my policy is this....
If you have to trade out the fish at some point because it's going to eventually grow beyond the bounds of my tank, I shouldn't be housing it in the first place.

skate020

wat are the dimensions?
260g is generally big enough for a queen angel quite easiliy:D
just if it is fairly stocked and not much lateral swimming space it may out grow.
i assume the tank is about 7ft long?
if so it'll be fine. they generally go along the idea of large angels can go into 6ft tanks at a minimum, so a 260g should be fine:)

garick

Their diet consists almost entirely of sponges and algae, but they will also nibble on sea fans, soft corals, and even jellyfish. They even set up cleaning stations sometimes in grasses to help clean up other fish of parasites. (or so I've read)
So in a reef they could be pretty rough on your corals, that or they may be hard to even feed if you lack the proper food for this fish that reaches over 3 pounds.

k thanks will keep in mind about the diet and stuff but is this one of those things that depends on the fish wether its a coral eater or not?? or are they just bad all together?

garick

Like any other animal. It will find a food source if it must. So if it does not have its sponges/Algae and similar food stuffs. It may well just go to feeding on your corals and seems to have a taste for stony corals as well
However most of the time (generalizing here) fish will behave differently fish to fish. Everything must eat though, so if you can't provide what it likes, it will likely eat what it can find or starve to death.

um i know you must be talking about algea sheets but are you also talking anout live sponge or some kind or addative? to the food mixtures?

btldreef

I don't know if I'd put a Queen Angel in any size reef tank, unless you plan on making your corals sacrificial lambs

Queens are one of the worst angels when it comes to picking at corals. I've seen Queen Angels destroy 180G reefs in under a week. IMO, they are meant to be kept in fish only setups. A 260G FISH ONLY setup would be perfect for them, a 260G REEF, no, I would not risk it, even with the best food supply.
Even if you get this fish as a juvenile, you can't train it to not pick at your corals, that is just natural instinct.
I'm sure there's people out there that have success, but I don't know if I'd risk it for the sheer fact that catching a juvenile angelfish in a 260G tank just is not my idea of a good time.

k lol well then scratch the queen lol got a better angel for me lol o was going to get a flame for my 125 gallon reef but now im upgrading lol

btldreef

Originally Posted by fish are good
http:///forum/post/3196186
k lol well then scratch the queen lol got a better angel for me lol o was going to get a flame for my 125 gallon reef but now im upgrading lol
LOL, sorry :-(
If you plan on keeping the 125, why not make that a fish only, you can have the queen in there? %%
Honestly, dwarf angels are much, much more reef safe than full size and in a 260G, you definitely won't have problems keeping more than one. I have a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel in my 155, they fought for two days and now are absolutely fine together.
Larger angels are a huge risk. The Koran, Emperor and Blue Face are your safest bet, but it's still a huge risk.
Why not a large pretty colored tang?

btldreef

Originally Posted by fish are good
http:///forum/post/3196215
i guess lol but no im not keeping my 125 lol haha also i already have a hippo tang.
My friend has a mated pair of hippos, they're awesome to watch swim together.
I'd take a look at some crazy looking tangs, maybe do a school of yellows? Tangs are so much safer than Angels. If you have an issue with an angel, catching it in a reef system is going to be a nightmare. In a 260, I'd do a school or two (school of tangs, school of anthias maybe?)

pbnj

My Blue Angelfish (very closely related to the Queen) has never touched any corals or clams.
My Purple Tang, on the other hand, has eaten about 6 heads of frogspawn, 1 head of hammer, a whole open-brain, and took a nice-sized nibble out my large Derasa clam's mantle.
No safe bets in this hobby....it's all a crapshoot.

hey thanks for the info but i dont think i am going to do a large ang;e just 2 dwarfs . but when i was in the florida keys we were stayinf in a house on a canal and i was laying on my stomach and to my surprise i say this and it was about 12 inches long. i could have reached down and picked it up lo is was sooo cool also we saw a HUGE french angel about 5 minutes later about 15 inches long but i couldnt get the camera fast enough
Attachment 236308
kind of a bad shot but hey ...

coral keeper

Queen Angelfish can easily outgrow a 300 gallon. I wouldn't put a Queen angelfish in your 260 gallon if I were you. JMO