queen angel w/pop eye??

small triggers

I have had this queen angel in my DT for about 6 weeks now. Last week my PH was low so she was stressing and her face was starting to lose color and she had these celophaney bags near her mouth that were expanding as she was breathing. That went away when i used a PH buffer to raise it to 8.3. Everything else is normal (as my tank has been for months) the only thing thats high is my nitrates at 60ish. They have always been high. I have started doing a 15g water change every 9 days (150g tank,,45g ish sump) I have put her back in a 25g QT and am running 2 tablets of lifegaurd. I want to know if this doesnt work,, should I try copper? Ive never had fish get sick they just live or die one day (havent had a fish dies since i moved the tank almost a year ago)

small triggers

BTW its only her left eye, and it looks EXACTLY like the pop-eye case in the disease thread pics Beth has. I think he ran into (or was bashed into) some rock (by my overly protective maroon clown who after that guarded the angel from everyone else???)

sepulatian

Did the fish exhibit any other symptoms of illness? Fish don't often die from pop eye. It is easily treated and is a minor eye infection. I am sorry for your loss.

truefishman

um about your nitrates.i have always had the nitrate problem until my bro saw this thread.i cant honestly remember what the author of this thread and the first person to actuallysuggest this but it is using the plastic screen with a powerhead and a pipe connecting them and using the light the water will trickle down the screen and the light creates algea and removes everything after a month or 2 of using this idea i got 0 on my trates and i couldnt belive it i will try to get the thread for you

small triggers

she started with a PH problem that when i added some buffer to raise my PH from 7.3 to 8.3 helped. She had some whitening of her face and some puffy celophany bags from around her mouth puffing in and out. That was about a week ago. Then she looked alot better over the past few days. Then i think my clownfish got mad at her and hit her when she went into the clownfishes hole. After that her eye looked bad, but i didnt really think about it for a day, did a water change it still looked the same so i decided to try to catch her and put her in the QT. well did that, put in some lifeguard let her settle, put in a nori clip about an hour before lights out, she ate some of it. Then checked everything she looked about the same, the eye was still looking bad though. then i woke up in the morning to check the temp, it was about a degree higher than normal and she was dead :( thats about it,,, and my normally high nitrates,,I jsut think with everything in my water ( as i dont always keep up on it since my other fish have higher tolerances) cause it to be worse than it looked, :(
I am going to be more diligent in my water changes,,,

sepulatian

How fast did you raise that PH? That is likely what caused her death, or at least started the downhill spiral. Pop eye didn't kill her. A combination of things, with a weakened immune system, sounds like the culprit here.