Question about a Toadstool!

blemmy_guy

A freind of mine has a toadstool that looks like its molting all the time??? I t almost looks like it sheds its skin??? Any idea what it could be?? he took it out of his main tank and put it in the Hospital tank , and its still doing it?? Thanx for any help here. Todd :notsure:

O

oreo12

I bought a nice size one 3 weeks ago. The first week it looked great then it did that came back out for about 4 days then it started that again and has been doing it know for the past 1 1/2 weeks it only came out partly one day. I moved it lowwer in the tank. It looks like it might be trying to come out again today. It has what looks like dead skin coming off right now. I have heard they do that everyso often but for this length of time? maybe just because it has to ajust to new tank?

sundance1

I have a brown one and a green one,they both do this,usually every 2 or 3 weeks.It is growing and shedding it's old skin as well as getting rid of any toxin buildup in the outer layer of skin.Kindda like a snake shedding.Since I pointed a power head at mine it is doing great! :happyfish

O

oreo12

I thought I read on hear they hate lots of flow my power head faces up away from it. since geting it it has shed more than doing anything else. Blemmy Guy I was like yourself maybe since we both have em doing the same thing it is normal mine is half out now.

mbowker

Mine come back healthier and better looking after every shed. This is perfectly normal and should be expected.

blazehok68

toadstools, and all leathers, are weird like that. one day they will be big and beautiful, and the next day they will be all shrunkin up and wilted and look like they are gonna die. it is perfectly normal. i have in my 55 as toadstool and a devils hand. both of them do this regularly. sometimes for a couple of days, sometimes for a couple of weeks. no worries. everytime they come back they are bigger and more beautiful. its weird though, i got my devils hand first, and since i put my toadstool in, it seems like they are on the same schedule, shedding at the same time, very weird.
joe

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
Mine loves lotsa flow.
Well mine stayed out that one day then it shed again I amied a power head right at it it has been out real nice 2 days now

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by oreo12
Well mine stayed out that one day then it shed again I amied a power head right at it it has been out real nice 2 days now
Yeah. If it was me I would put it about 6 inches in front of a powerhead. This is how mine thrives.

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by oreo12
then it went back in and stayed in for over one week. I thought it was a goner redslime began to grow on it then it game back out and has been out 1 1/2 weeks looking big and nice. I started puting kent planktio not speeled right in for the zoos and I think the toadstool likes it as well.

E

eaglefan

put it in a medium high flow to get the skin of faster. It is normal, I have had my toadstool for 2 years now and it's routine.
1rst pic was in Jan of 2004
2nd pic was oct of this year
I'll post a newer pic because it has grown alot since then