Question about Achilles Tang.

robvia

Looking at the picture here it looks like this fish is a dark purple color. I saw one in a LFS ( at least they called it an Achilles Tang) but it was a brown color and not nearly as pretty as I expected. What color is this fish? Could the LFS have had it mismarked?

ophiura

It is hard to mistake them when they have the big orange tear-drop mark. Also be carefuly of colors at a store - not only are their light and individual differences, but there is coloration changes due to stress.
Whatever the color, they are considered to be in the more delicate tang group like powder blues, gold rim, etc.

fishcrazy2

I would love to have 1 but my tank is way to smal for him they our my favorite tang other than a a purple tang n powder blue tang

guineawhop

if the achilles tang is not dark in color then it is stressed in some way. they are suppose to be a dark purplish bluish color with orange tear drop near the spur. if that is not what you see in the color or the tang marked achilles don't buy it there is something stressing it out.

robvia

I'm going to get a hippo and I would like to add another tang to my tank. I wanted a Sohol, but it seems it will be too aggresive. I am now looking at an Archilles or a Naso. I have a 90 gallon long reef. The picture here of the purple Archilles looked really good. I would probably order it from here. Has anyone gotten one (Archilles) from here? Would stress turn it a dark brown? Any other thoughts?

ophiura

IMO, I would stick to one tank. An achilles would not be a good second choice. Those are two very active tangs, and not particularly hardy. It is not, IMO, a large enough tank to house two of these tangs for any extended period of time. Additionally, due to similar body shapes, the two may fight. If you are set on a second tang, I would go with a yellow, scopas or purple.