question about anemone + clowns + lighting

xjayx

I've got two false perc clowns and 130 watts of PC light in a fairly small tank. (37 gal)
What kind of anemone could I keep under that lighting that will also host clowns...
I've heard that bubble tip anemones could work but are there any others?

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by xjayx
I've got two false perc clowns and 130 watts of PC light in a fairly small tank. (37 gal)
What kind of anemone could I keep under that lighting that will also host clowns...
I've heard that bubble tip anemones could work but are there any others?

I have another thread open right now about salinity threshold and I mentioned the SAME thing. According to great info from "REEF" that is plenty of light. I have the same in my 29. He said 2 watts per gallon is the standard and you're well over that.
He also said a minimum of 10,000K lights.

xjayx

Right now I've got one 65 watt 12,000 K compact florecent lamp and another 65 watt .03 actinic blue compact florecent lamp on it...
Should I switch the 12,000 K for a 10,000 K bulb or is the one I've got now ok?

vlondi

If you have questions specifically about anemones you should try posting in the "Clownfish and Anemones" forum; there is actually a stickied post that will let you know which anemones are likely to host which clownfish.
To directly answer one of your questions: A bubble tip anemone is the only one I would suggest with your lighting. As far as anemones go they are one of the hardiest and can take a little less light than other kinds. Keep in mind that the "watts per gallon" thing isn't really a rule but is a suggestion to go by. Going by this I would recommend that you go no less than 4 watts per gallon for any anemone. You are close to that so it may be possible to have a long living one provided your tank is mature/stable enough to handle it.
The Kelvin rating (K) refers to the color spectrum output of the bulb; 10,000K is usually recommended because it offers a nice balance of both the red and blue ends of the color spectrum and gives the tank a nice look. Going less than 10,000K is okay as long as you balance out your tank with true actinic supplements. Do a search of the forums for "007" (member name) and "saltwater aquariums 101" to get some good info on lighting.

xjayx

Originally Posted by Vlondi
If you have questions specifically about anemones you should try posting in the "Clownfish and Anemones" forum; there is actually a stickied post that will let you know which anemones are likely to host which clownfish.
To directly answer one of your questions: A bubble tip anemone is the only one I would suggest with your lighting. As far as anemones go they are one of the hardiest and can take a little less light than other kinds. Keep in mind that the "watts per gallon" thing isn't really a rule but is a suggestion to go by. Going by this I would recommend that you go no less than 4 watts per gallon for any anemone. You are close to that so it may be possible to have a long living one provided your tank is mature/stable enough to handle it.
The Kelvin rating (K) refers to the color spectrum output of the bulb; 10,000K is usually recommended because it offers a nice balance of both the red and blue ends of the color spectrum and gives the tank a nice look. Going less than 10,000K is okay as long as you balance out your tank with true actinic supplements. Do a search of the forums for "007" (member name) and "saltwater aquariums 101" to get some good info on lighting.
Thank you for that answer!
That's all the information I was looking for.