Question about cigs

osuaquarist

Do you guys think there is any harm in putting the hand u just smoked a cig with in your tank right afterwards?
Should I always wash my hands before putting them in the tank, if so, with what?

sepulatian

You should definitely always wash your hands before placing them in the tank. Use hot water and dry with paper towels. Many people have unknowingly added contaminants into their tanks from their hands. I am not sure about the smoke, but any kind of lotions or soap residue will certainly do it.

florida joe

Defends on what fish you have. I had a Cuban hogfish that just loved when I put my hand in the tank after I had a good cohiba cubano

t316

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2614763
Defends on what fish you have. I had a Cuban hogfish that just loved when I put my hand in the tank after I had a good cohiba cubano

I was waiting on somebody to say something like that

salty blues

The cig smoke is harming you far more than any latent nicotene is harming your fish. I mean, it says so right on the pack.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by OSUaquarist
http:///forum/post/2614629
Do you guys think there is any harm in putting the hand u just smoked a cig with in your tank right afterwards?
Should I always wash my hands before putting them in the tank, if so, with what?
nicotine is highly water soluble and very toxic. definatly rinse your hands off after smoking, before putting them in the tank. a rinse with tap water shopuld be sufficient to wash away the residual nicotine.

ajilon

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2614784
The cig smoke is harming you far more than any latent nicotene is harming your fish. I mean, it says so right on the pack.
wouldn't reading the pack be the same as reading the instructions on something? No wonder people don't know about the harmful effects!

stdreb27

I'd be concerned, with the chemicals and stuff added to the cig if you are smoking in the same room as your tank get airborn and some will find its way to your tank.
But I do find it highly ironic that we are talking fish health and not your health.

kellenr

I do the same thing. I usually give them a splash of whiskey though first to get them in the mood.
No on a serious note though, it's funny cuz I was thinking the exact same thing. I've put my hand in the tank right after smokin a cig too sometimes. I always realize after the fact too.

T

tizzo

Nicotine leaves an oily residue. When I used to smoke, iI could see it most on my vehicles glass and windows. You can push it around all day with any cleaner, but it NEVER came off!
I don't think rinsing your hands with fresh water will get it off, but I also don't think it'll come off in your tank water.
Rinse what you can as sep said, but the majority will not come off til the actual skin cells come off.
Oh and...people still smoke? Your a rare breed.