Question about Copper Safe!!!

mikeyjer

:help:
I've treated my 46 bowfront and 55 gal with copper safe. I need to remove the copper out of my tank. I'm going to put a carbon bag in my canister filter. Going to do some water change. How long is the process to remove copper from my tanks???? Thanks!!!

1journeyman

I don't think copper can ever be "removed" from a tank. The rocks, substrate and even the silicon sealant absorb the copper.

jobob

the coppper does get into the rocks and sand. but do a water change and run the carbon for a couple days. i would say it would be out of the water in a day or so. as for the sealant? i ran copppersafe in my fw tank, i switched it to sw about 7 months ago. i now have a reef in that tank? a without any problems.

mikeyjer

I hope it would take out the copper cause I want my hermit crabs back in again. I want a cleaner shrimp and a coral shrimp in it too so I need to take out the copper. Anymore information on taking out copper for sure???

I

ivanfj

There's something called polyfilter you may wanna look at. I believe that also helps taking out any medication/copper in the water.

jobob

u should try chemi-pure that takes out all chemicals, metals things like that. that would work.

loopy

I'm with jobob on this. I added copper a while back. Now I have a bunch of crabs, plus and arrow crab and some snails...if there was copper, they would be dead by now. Just make sure you get a test kit and test for copper before you put the inverts in. Personally, a lot of filtration and water changes got rid of my copper and there hasn't been a 'release' issue, ever. Good luck!!