Question about Emperor Angels

bemaniac

So this website suggests that Emperor Angels (Juvenile) have at least a 100 gallon tank (I think) to roam around.
This fish I've wanted to have ever since I was little, but never got around to setting up a saltwater. Now I have the opportunity to have a tank, but it's only a 55 gallon.
Is keeping this fish in a 55 gallon tank generally a bad idea?

coachklm

.. i think as a quernteen "not perminant" tank (when they are still juvi would be ok.)
even 100g is tiny for this fish
i wouldnt want to go less then 150g-- 6' tank with any of the large angles... JMO

bemaniac

Well, that's unfortunate. I always wanted this fish. But I'm not going to be immature about it and get one anyways. I want all my fish to be happy.

bemaniac

Because I'm getting this 55 gallon tank and stand for free... and I'm poor at the moment. I probably won't even be able to set it up for another month or so until I have the money to get the filter/skimmer/heater/etc.

bemaniac

Yeah, I'm considering that.
The main reason I wanted the Emperor Angel is because they change with age, and I thought that would be pretty cool to witness (although I've heard that in captivity they don't do this all the time).
Are there any interesting "changing" fish that would do well in a 55 gal tank?

nicetry

Originally Posted by bemaniac
Well, that's unfortunate. I always wanted this fish. But I'm not going to be immature about it and get one anyways. I want all my fish to be happy.
That's a good attitude to have. It's easy to give in to your "wants" and not consider the optimum environment for the fish you plan to keep. Emperors are magnificent fish and when they are kept in large tanks can do very well. As stated, in a 55, one of the dwarf angels would be fine.