Question about feeding open brain....

zanemoseley

Ok I got a red open brain from here about 3 weeks ago and it looks pretty good but I can't seem to feed it. I've been trying to get it to eat Formula 1 cubes but my clown and fire shrimp steal it before the brain gets a chance to eat it. Question is does the brain really need to eat or can it get all it needs from the light. If it does need to eat what should I feed it and how can I feed it without the food getting stolen.

jlm

I feed mine pieces of cut up shrimp and some silversides. I put it down onto the little feeder tenticles that stick out. Then I stand gaurd. They are slow eaters and I have to make sure the other critters are munching on there own food so they leave the brain alone.

zanemoseley

I only see the tentacles around the rim during the night. I thought about putting the brain in a small container of tank water and temporarily remove it from the tank and feed it in the small container then put it back into the tank. It would be a bit of a hassle but I'd probably only do it once a week.

jlm

I wouldn't do that. I would think that would just stress it. Mine puts his out at night too. I just feed him then. Just make sure the other critters have something or use something to scare them off while you feed him. I used to use one of those sticks from the algea scrubber now I just feed them too.

zanemoseley

This is kinda seeming like more of a pain in the but than its gonna be worth. I wonder if I have to feed it.

jja

The only time I feed my red brain is if his tentacles are out at feeding time(which is hardly ever) and it is thriving for the 6 months I have had it. It does however always have his tentacles out when I do a water change and everything get's stirred up.

gkp

I have never fed my brain in 2 years and it's now as big as a foot ball. That being said if you find it a pain to feed just dont.....