Question About Growth on Sand?

estein02

I've recently posted about the cyanobacteria that has begun to grow on my sand. I've also got other stuff growing that is making the sand like a specled brown. I've noticed in looking at pictures of oterh peoples tanks, even the very nice ones, that a lot of people have the brown stuff on their sand. In reading about how to remove the red slime some posts state to increase water flow, some state that does nothing...others state to cut back the light while some say that the cyano does not need the light to spread. The thing is that the whitest sand in my tank is found in locations under the LR, like on the sand in the caves that I made out of the LR. In looking at my tank I'm thinking that these areas receive the least amount of light and have the calmest water. So what is the deal?
I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, probably around 15% because that is all the change water I will have, I will siphon the sand, change my carbon, make new change water then do another siphoning and water change in a few days. I'll try this for a couple of weeks and if that doesn't work looks like I'll have to try the chemicals.
Ideally, should the sand stay as white as it was when it was in the bag? The sand I use is CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade (20 lbs) and Arag-Alive Bahama Oolite (40 lbs).

TIA

reefer545

The cyano should stop in a couple weeks. A weekly water change is optimal adn probably more than most people with their own tanks. Commendable. The sand never stays as white as when it was in the bag, and even some bags start to turn green, brown, adn purple when stored for a long time, and so it will do in your tank. Get a good sand sifter when you get fish. A watchman goby or sand sifting stars are great. they should keep your sand looking as good as possible. Don't be discouraged. Make sure you use RO water for your water changes or the cyano may never go away. that cyano is frustrating, but it will go away.

estein02

Originally Posted by REEFER545
The cyano should stop in a couple weeks. A weekly water change is optimal adn probably more than most people with their own tanks. Commendable. The sand never stays as white as when it was in the bag, and even some bags start to turn green, brown, adn purple when stored for a long time, and so it will do in your tank. Get a good sand sifter when you get fish. A watchman goby or sand sifting stars are great. they should keep your sand looking as good as possible. Don't be discouraged. Make sure you use RO water for your water changes or the cyano may never go away. that cyano is frustrating, but it will go away.
Thanks for the assurance. I try to do the research but there are a lot of different schools of thought on how to do certain things and they contradict each other. I really don't want to use a chemical to remove it, but how will I know if it gets too bad? Will it get worse before it gets better? All my parameters are great...temp stays between 78 and 80; pH 8.2 - 8.4; salinity 1.025; ammonia, trites, trates and phosphate are all 0ppm; calcium is 420ppm and DKH is 13.6 (which I thought was high, but seems to be what it is with a pH in the 8.2 - 8.4 range). Is there anything else I should be testing for that might cause this nuisance algea. It definitely came a little faster after I added some zoos and increased the lighting period from 5 to 8 hours (which I'm still ot certain give the zoos enough light, but they seem to be doing fine so far). I really do appreciate the help...thanks.

maxalmon

REEFER545 said:
A watchman goby or sand sifting stars are great. they should keep your sand looking as good as possible.QUOTE]
You should rethink the sand sifting star as it will die a slow death over a period of time, they require a well seasoned tank and even then most die even for eperienced reefers, goby is a much better choice

estein02

maxalmon said:
A watchman goby or sand sifting stars are great. they should keep your sand looking as good as possible.QUOTE]
You should rethink the sand sifting star as it will die a slow death over a period of time, they require a well seasoned tank and even then most die even for eperienced reefers, goby is a much better choice
On this site they have Yellow Watchman Gobies...looks like a nice fish. Do they come in other colors too, or are all watchman's yellow? Guess this should be the first fish that I add. I was thinking about a sand sifting star at one point but reading your response cured that. Thanks for the help...

snaredrum

My pistol shrimp keeps my sand white with all the digging...

estein02

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
My pistol shrimp keeps my sand white with all the digging...

I'm thinking about getting a hawkfish eventually so I don't believe I can have shrimp in there because they will get eaten. Might have to rethink this though because from what I've read shrimp seam like they can be more beneficial to a tank then a hawkfish would be.

lovecraft

Originally Posted by estein02
I'm thinking about getting a hawkfish eventually so I don't believe I can have shrimp in there because they will get eaten. Might have to rethink this though because from what I've read shrimp seam like they can be more beneficial to a tank then a hawkfish would be.
My shrimp are the next most beneficial thing to my tank next to snails IMO. Peppermint, skunk, and fire.

estein02

If I did decide to add shrimp to my tank (65 gallon) can a few different types be added at once or should they be added one at a time like fish?

lovecraft

Originally Posted by estein02
If I did decide to add shrimp to my tank (65 gallon) can a few different types be added at once or should they be added one at a time like fish?
Like everything else in this hobby, ask 10 people get 12 different answers. I added my peppermints first and a few weeks later added a skunk cleaner and 3 days later added the fire shrimp.
There's nothing wrong with taking things slow in this hobby, but with shrimp having little to negative bioload (again depending on who you ask) I think it would be fine either way. I can only speak for these 3 types however, I haven't tried any others yet.
Everyone gets along just fine. I keep those 4 in 46 gal bow.

estein02

Originally Posted by lovecraft
Like everything else in this hobby, ask 10 people get 12 different answers. I added my peppermints first and a few weeks later added a skunk cleaner and 3 days later added the fire shrimp.
There's nothing wrong with taking things slow in this hobby, but with shrimp having little to negative bioload (again depending on who you ask) I think it would be fine either way. I can only speak for these 3 types however, I haven't tried any others yet.
Everyone gets along just fine. I keep those 4 in 46 gal bow.
Seriously...it is all usually helpful information though. Well I've decided to forgo the hawkfish for a few shrimp. I have a post on fish discussion so I am hoping to get some input on the best shrimp to add. I'm thinking a fire, pepermint and pistol shrimp. Also, going to add a goby. I'm hoping that the pistol shrimp and goby aid in keeping the sand clean. Thanks for the help.

lovecraft

I'd be interested in what you found out there about the pistol/goby and their behavior with other shrimp. I'm looking at that pair as a possible addition as well.
Peppermints are the best cleaners/detrivores and will eat aptaisia(sp) but I luckily I don't have that. They're fun to watch.
The Skunk is better at cleaning the fish and is just fascinating to watch-he's like a little clown in my tank so active and never hides..
The fire is absolutely beautiful but was shy at first and may hide a lot. He's coming out more now though, but still is a scare-dy cat. But man you should see how people ooooh and ahhhh over him when he makes his entrance.

estein02

Probably a dumb question...but will shrimp like the skunk and fire be okay with out any fish in the tank since they like cleaning them?

lovecraft

Not a dumb question, cause I have what I think are plenty of them!

Should be fine cause if they aren't cleaning they are scrabbling for food that the fish missed. I have to watch my skunk cause he steals food off my anenome before he can eat it.

estein02

lovecraft...thanks for the help. Maybe I will add a skunk too...I read that the pepermints do best in groups...my tank is going to be overrun with inverts. At least the shrimp add some color!

lovecraft

No worries bro. You'll have/know something that I'll want to know about later.

Let me know what you find out about the shrimp/goby pair up, cause I want a yellow watchman/pistol too if they'll be ok with my little guys.