question about hermit crabs

timdaddie

How do hermits reproduce? The reason that I ask is that I had a hermit die. In the shell theirs a little hole, and in the hole is a small red thing that comes out. When I get close to it to try to take a pic it goes back in to the shell. I don't know what this is so I thought one of yous would know.

toyshika

Well...let's see....
You know many times, they will steal the shells of others, and kill the hermit inside. So make sure you have empty shells in there. You can google on reproduction, but they mate by connecting shells. You usually would find two together. I don't know if I can handle telling you about the birds and the bees. :) :jumping:

merredeth

Originally Posted by TimDaddie
How do hermits reproduce? The reason that I ask is that I had a hermit die. In the shell theirs a little hole, and in the hole is a small red thing that comes out. When I get close to it to try to take a pic it goes back in to the shell. I don't know what this is so I thought one of yous would know.
Reproduction in hermit crabs is rarely successful in aquaria. From what I have read the juveniles are carried inside the parent's shell on their backs for quite some time before dying released into the tank.
Babies are about 1/16 of an inch in size (the size of a facial whisker).
The problem is generally there is no shells in a tank for the size of the offspring and they generally die within hours or days.
Denise M.

timdaddie

I wish I could get a pic of the thing that I'm seeing. We bought the hermit crab at a lfs two days after we got it home the crab died then my wife noticed this hole in the shell. It had a red thing hanging out of it. When we get close to it, it retreats back in to the small hole in the shell. (not the main hole but a small hole in the actual shell. I was just wondering if it could be an offspring I have very small shells in my tank. they came in the CC. I'll place these buy that shell and keep my eye on it. thank you

celacanthr

they are polychaetes, you can see more info in the hitchiker thread at the top of the new hobbyist forum;they are rarely bad;some are, some aren't

nm reef

what are bristel worms, are they bad for my tank, and are they red.

what are bristel worms....benficial scavengers that can be very positive additions to a well established and maintained system.
are they bad for my tank...no....they seldom pose any serious problems.
and are they red...yes they can often be red.
Without a picture or at the very least a much better description it is very difficult to offer a ID....but based on what you've posted I'd guess its a small bristle worm inside your empty hermit shell...very common.

nm reef

...and I didn't see anything to complain about in any of the above responses....you basically asked for information about crab reproduction and the response you took exception to touched on that subject...maybe not in the manner "you" wanted it to be addressed....but certainly not in a manner to warrent your vulgar inferred response.

timdaddie

I just ask for advise an I get someone trying to make a funny on me. I didn't come here for that an easy explanation would have been ok. I'm new to this hobby and looking for advise, but if that's the type of advise I get from this forum maybe I'll look for another.

merredeth

I do thank everyone who helped me including toyshika. Even with her smart coments at the end of her post.
Having fun on this forum is part of the fun of logging in. Yes, you may get some comments that you feel are 'sarcastic' and maybe they are. One thing you need to remember is that the informative and fun posts out volume the ones that you can deem sarcastic.
In my opinion, this forum is the most informative board on the web. Overlooking some comments is just part of the process. You'll find on whatever forum you post on there are going to be people that will make a comment the overly sensitive will deem inappropriate or sarcastic in nature.
I hope you continue to post on the board. As you learn about how to handle your tank you will be sharing your knowledge with others - you will see that it happens every now and then but most people here are anxious to share knowledge they have acquired - and have a little fun without meaning to offend.
Denise M.

jcazz10

I have a problem with one of hermits...he must be a bully...although maybe not after reading the posts...my wife actually seperated them....and the "bully" runs right back to the one he was messing with....do you think they are mating??
Any info would help..and maybe we should leave them alone

merredeth

Originally Posted by jcazz10
I have a problem with one of hermits...he must be a bully...although maybe not after reading the posts...my wife actually seperated them....and the "bully" runs right back to the one he was messing with....do you think they are mating??
Any info would help..and maybe we should leave them alone
No, I don't think they are mating right off the top of my head.
My first thought is whether or not you have a good supply of shells in a boneyard so the hermit can pick and choose a shell that is the right 'fit.'
Try putting a lot of shells in one area (boneyard) and putting him among the shells and see if he starts messing with the empty ones.
Denise M.