Question about lighting on a 90 G corner

S

scar7980

Right now I have the hood that came with my 90 Gallon corner tank. I upgraded the florecent bulbs a while ago but I want to get VHO or MH lights. My question is what kind of canopy or hood do I have to get to attched to the corner tank? Right now my original hood sits on the glass. I don't think when I get the new lights they will be able to sit on the glass because it will be to hot. Since this is a corner tank you can't clamp the light fixtures on to the tank as you would with a rectangle tank. Do they make something that can hold the lights above the water and above the top of the tank for the corner style tank. Thanks Mike

D

daniel411

Alot of lighting setups can be hung from the ceiling, or hung from the wall. Its usually DIY though.

mack

i have the hood that came with mine on the glass it is 36 inch and behind that i have a 30 inch 55 ho and in front of the one that came with it i have a 30 watt 20 inch it sits on the lid that opens for a total of 145 watts and they all sit on the class and no problem with heat just my experience. [ps] i have a 92 gallon corner bow front.

S

scar7980

Thats the exact one I have 92 g corner bow front. So you actually kept the regular florecents and what, you just put upgrade florecents in that one and then you added two other strips to make up the amount of watts that you wanted? That seems like it could work. I was worried about putting it on the glass but then I also didn't want to remove the glass because that is a lot of open space that won't be covered. I also have a cat and IO don't think have that much opening in the top is a very good idea. Maybe I will try what you did. Thanks Mike

S

scar7980

Ok so Im going to go out and get some new lights. My tank is a 92 Gallon corner bow tank. What kind of lights should I get? Right now in my tank I have no corals but I am planning on getting an anenome for my clown. My tank consists of-
1-Flame angel
1-Yellow tang
1-Sohol tang
1-Clown fish
1- Linkia Star
1- Cleaner Calm
1-Feather duster
5 Shaving brush
About 100 lbs of LR
3-4 inch lLS bed
Cleaner shrimp, Fire shrimp, Snails, Purple Lobster,
I need somewhere of around at least 550 watts I believe. How do I go about getting these and what is the best ones to get. I have been looking around but Im not sure what I really need. Do I need actinic lights and if so do they make something with all these lights in one thing with about 550 watts of lighting. Any help to point me in the right direction would help. Thanks Mike

S

scar7980

Ok can some tell me which one I should use. I am going to get a canopy that has 2- 250 watt MH (either 10000k or 13000k), 2- PC 96 watt Actinic bulbs. This is going on my 92 gallon corner bow front. Should I get the 10000k or 13000k MH bulbs. I want what will ever look best and growth second. I will also be running the actinics as a dawn/dusk effect. Thanks

d12monkey

Originally posted by scar7980
Ok can some tell me which one I should use. I am going to get a canopy that has 2- 250 watt MH (either 10000k or 13000k), 2- PC 96 watt Actinic bulbs. This is going on my 92 gallon corner bow front. Should I get the 10000k or 13000k MH bulbs. I want what will ever look best and growth second. I will also be running the actinics as a dawn/dusk effect. Thanks

Being that the sun's light specturm is 6700K (K=Kelvin) the 10000K bulb will be better for the growth of corals and/or other sessile creatures that are Light dependant. The 13000K bulb will be a little bluer and will make your tanks look nicer over all. The actinic lighting provided it's true actinics will make all your flourenscent organisms glow more. Hence a nicer looking tank.
Hope this helps your decision.
Either way your tank will look nice with that amount of lighting.

rwillo

Scar,
I know this is a very old thread but I have a 92 gallon corner tank and I am looking to upgrade my lighting, so I was wondering what was your final decision for your tank and how did it come out?
Thanks,