Question about lighting

jmrents

Just curious about something,
I intended to only do a FOWLR tank for now and upgrade my
lights later for a possible reef setup, but I have an oppertunity
to get some lights soon and wondered if they would indeed
suit my needs.
Two dual 48" T5000 florescents, they are 35 watt ea. mounted in reflector boxes mounted either side by side or staggered in my hood, which is 72", for my 135 gallon tank.
The tank is 24" tall, would this be enough light to run a typical
reef setup?
Should I also use some Actinic blue lights and would the standard, 30 watt, compact 36" lights that came with my tank take care of that?
The person who will build them for me said, "These are as good if not better then VHO's and much cooler","and will give you the
full daylight you need."
What do you think?
Thanks jmrents.

bang guy

I think those lights would be fine for your fish only. They are not nearly as good as VHO, sorry. They would be inadequate for a reef.
For your tank for just minimal lighting for a reef you should be looking at closer to 700 watts of lighting.
Keep you fish only lighting and when you're ready to go for a reef buy 3 250 watt MH fixtures, or a fixture that has those. It's not cheap so start saving up now :)
Your current lighting can be fitted with actinic bulbs and you could still use them to supplement your MH.

jmrents

Thanks Bang Guy,
I wasn't sure about those fixtures but thought if they would work
then that would be very nice since they are free!
Figures... :rolleyes:
As for MH's, I know they are very expensive and I will not be able to go that route anyways, not enough clearence under my hood, and with 12ft ceiling hieght hanging them is out too.
So, with that in mind I have seen some retro kits that I can get and fit into my hood that will give me the light I need for a reef, just wont be getting them anytime soon, since they cost 180 ea.
Some things are worth waiting for.
Guess that's about it for now, jmrents.

enomadra

Hey jmrents,
For the retro-kit you are talking about, is it T5 lighting? I too have a 135 Gallon Tank that I am building and I am about to get the lighting for it. I am going to use T5 lights and I also have limited hood space. I will post some pictures of the hood with the light setup so you can check it out once I get it installed. :)