Question about lights. Eclipse woes.

B

betacrash

I just bought an eclipse 2 hood. It has two bulbs in it and I am using it on a 20 gal. I'm not impressed with the stock bulbs that come with it (very yellow). Should I just get 2 replacement bulbs? If so what kind. Or should I just buy a power compact retrofit? Do you guys have a recommendation for a retrofit kit? Thanks. -betacrash

B

betacrash

You guys never answer any of my questions. I see that the only things on this board that get buzz are arguments and when a person posts a picture then everybody replies with "cool" "neat" "super".

B

betacrash

Well I think im gonna toss this piece of ---- anyway. So my woes will end. Note to anyone that wants to progess in the hobby of fish and reef keeping. Do not get an Eclipse hood. They are pretty and thats it.

premnusb

I had an Eclipse. You can buy replacement bulbs still only 30 watts but at least you'll have better spectrum. I also added a retro which upped wattage another thirty two or something but it wasn't worth it in the long run. I'd look around for a halide pendant. The retro is gonna run you $40-$50 and replacement bulbs probably at least $10 a piece why waste 70 when you can spend $100 and get much better results. Then you can either pull tops off eclipse and leave the filter part or just invest in another HOB power filter. Maybe something with a built in skimmer?

anenewbie

WOW Betacrash, I have never seen you so passionate. You must really be getting into this. I think instead of spending $100 more dollars on a light you should get a nano... JK.
Go for the big tank!! You want to try to many things to messing around with those little tanks. I saw a nice tank in your area for sale on the classifieds :thinking:
better by nice to the wife and maybe she will let you get it...

B

betacrash

actually i handed down the beatdown last night and she agreed to let me get it.