Question about lights/glass tops

ecooper

Folks,
I'm new, but just read something on the newbie list I wanted to ask about. I hear we're not supposed to have glass tops for aquariums if we want to have coral and such?
I'm filling a little nervous about having nothing between the water and the lights!
Eric

dhughesz28

I too would kile to hear an answer to this. I am planning on having a glass top on my new 65g. to help keep evaporation down.
As far as the lights are concerned, I would think that as long as the glass is kept clean, it should not cut down on the light getting into the tank.

jmesmcm

The reason for not using the glasstop is that it traps the heat in the tank which becomes problematic as the lights become more powerful. Particularly if you are using metal halides you shouldn't keep the glass tops on the tank unless you enjoy fish soup. ;)

whitey_028

Also totally enclosed tops prevent the gas exchange of oxygen and the suface of the water... there are options to the glass tops such as egg crates ect...

emmitt2

How big is your tank and what is your lighting setup ecooper?
I took off my glass top awhile ago to help with the gas exchange but was very worried about jumpers, especially my midas blenny. I didnt like the look of eggcrate so i decided to chance it. Turned our between my lights above the tank, the hob filter and the skimmer, my fish really dont have much room to jump out of. Most likely if they tried, they'd bounce off my lights back into the tank :happyfish

jpa0741

It depends on what lyou want to keep and what kind of lights you want to use, and also if you have an open sump for gas exchange.

cgrant

biggest problem i had w/glass tops on my 210 was ph drop.
As soon as i replaced the glass tops w/egg crate my ph went up to 8.2, was stuck @ 7.9 prior to that. My sump was open top 40 long tank.
I would worry about the halides heating up the tank w/the glass lids on but not 100% sure?

baclieu52

I use glasstop for my 75 gal tank, I have 260 watt CP light with legs and i open glasstop only couple hours at evening to feed my fish and corals, so far I have no problem with gas at all ( knock on wood ), here is the picture you can see it under the lights, before I use the glasstop I lost 5 firefish, 1 diamond goby, 1 yellow watchman, they jumped out.
Fish,inverts and coral are healthy and happy ( knock on wood again ).
Good luck with your tank

acrylic51

Originally Posted by CGRANT
biggest problem i had w/glass tops on my 210 was ph drop.
As soon as i replaced the glass tops w/egg crate my ph went up to 8.2, was stuck @ 7.9 prior to that. My sump was open top 40 long tank.
I would worry about the halides heating up the tank w/the glass lids on but not 100% sure?
Oxygen exchange....and heat buildup......Try putting glass lids on with MH's.........

ecooper

emmitt2 said:
How big is your tank and what is your lighting setup ecooper?
emmitt2 said:
Here are the specifics of my tank:
My Tank:
75 gallon (standard)
Wet/dry trickle filter for a 75
Skilter 250 (I don't use the skimmer part of it, just the carbon)
Skimmer in the sump
Two powerheads (one for filter and one for water circulation).
My Lights:
I have the CoraLife Lunar Aquatics light system for a 75 gallon: 2 - 65 watt day and 2 - 65 watt blue and the moon lights. And, I have another 56w Coralife T-5 light. Total: 316watts.
Tank Stocked With:
3 green chromis (small)
1 maroon clown (2 inches)
1 coral beauty (2 inches)
1 mandarin (also about 2 inches)
about 10 snails of different types
about 7 small to tiny hermit crabs (blue and red)
approx. 60 lbs of live rock
I have since taken the glass tops off my tank. I have not put anything on the top since none of my fish seem to be interested in jumping. I'm just hoping everything goes ok.
I've just recently (2 weeks) gotten into zoos, mushrooms, and polyps. They seem to be ok so far.
Eric