question about live rock

aussie260

just found a fish shop today that is selling live rock at a very very good price but the rock is not in water .They kind of have some water dripping over the live rock .Is this a problem ?

V

vinnyraptor

it may or may not need to be cured. if its staying wet its probably ok but the easiest way to tell is just smell it. if it smells like the ocean is most likely ok to use right away. if it smells rotten or foul its gonna need to be cured.

nycbob

as long as the rocks r kept moist, it should be good. the sniffing test is good to make sure its cured.

aussie260

its going into a new tank so it sounds like it should be fine.
another question , i am setting up a 180 G tank so am i best of getting diffrent sources of live rock ? i have also read that is good to get some premium live rock , how do i tell if the rock is premium ?

deejeff442

premium will have alot more coraline and some sponge maybe some polyps.
i always spend the extra cash on the premium.down the road there are all kinds of cool thing that pop up on it.
if this a new tank with no livestock just put it in the tank and watch for a cycle.if you have livestock already i would put it in a tote with a heater and ph and watch for cycle.

bizzmoneyb

rock is rock. even if it isnt in good shape now, it'll be fine once in the tank for a few months. i have a ton of rock in my tank that sat around dry for months, and after about 6 months you couldnt even tell. after awhile the coraline and critters find their way in. the only concern i would have is if you are adding it to an established tank.
and yes, premium rock usually just means lots of coraline and extra goodies.. but that will develop in time anyway.

deejeff442

how can extra goodies like sponge ,fans,critter show up in time when they werent there in the first place?this is why premium rock costs more.coraline is common to all lr so yes that wil grow but critters wont pop up out of nowhere.

xcali1985

I placed a few pieces of live rock about 30 pounds in total into my tank with about 90 pounds of marco dry rocks. Took about 4 months before I saw coraline on the dry now you cant tell the difference. Although when you first start the live stuff will grow things a lot faster.

hawkfishman

i had a peice of non-premium LR (basically it was live, just bleached or w/e) and within 2 weeks it had a few spots of purple coraline showing up. guess it varies with ur paramiters. mind you, this was in a 20 G so the coraline might spread quicker idk.

bizzmoneyb

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3241602
how can extra goodies like sponge ,fans,critter show up in time when they werent there in the first place?this is why premium rock costs more.coraline is common to all lr so yes that wil grow but critters wont pop up out of nowhere.
things make their way in.. trust me. from fish, cuc, etc. i had nothing on my rocks now there is plenty.