Question about live sand

iamunei

I have a 29 gal tank with CC in it. I did not know then the mistake I mad by choosing CC over LS. My question is this-- is it impossible to have a saltwater tank with crushed coral instead of live sand. I would reallly not like to have to start over because of my mistake and any information on this would be appreciated.

iluvreefs

Originally Posted by IamUnei
I have a 29 gal tank with CC in it. I did not know then the mistake I mad by choosing CC over LS. My question is this-- is it impossible to have a saltwater tank with crushed coral instead of live sand. I would reallly not like to have to start over because of my mistake and any information on this would be appreciated.
From what I've read and heard is CC causes a lot of probs. I used LS because of everything I read. I've also been told not to mix the two together because of bad bacteria probs and aeration. I hope this helps.

jam1e

yeah don't mix the two together .. and yes .. I've seen a few well established tanks flourishing with Crushed Coral ..

anonome

Crushed coral traps nitrates...poop,old food. So, yes you can use cc instead of Ls, but your maintainence but be impecable. Weekly vacuuming of the tank floor. No skipping this. Sand beds you do not have to do this with. More area for good bacteria to stick to, thus doing a better job of filtering. Also more good critters prefer to live in sand as to hard and sharp crushed coral. Whatever you do, do not mix the two. Depending on the size of the tank, and depth of the cc you shouldn't have that much trouble removing it. Just be sure to move any fish or critters while you are doing this. It will stir up the nitrates and start and new cycle.

iamunei

Would I still be able to keep corals if I choose to add them later on when the tank has been set up for a couple of months.

seasalt101

yes you could 10-15 years ago cc was the substate of choice but so were undergravel filters, but like mentioned maintenance would have to regular it would be alot better to change to ls moving corals around for upkeep would be a pain in the..... jmo