Question about moving a tank

blueberryboomer

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has a method of moving a large fish tank without having to carry it.
We have our 200 gallon we need to move to another room, Tom is unable to help lift it because of his bad back.
I was thinking of something like a hospital gurney but in a heavy duty form, where we could pick it up, set it on it and wheel it into the other room.(only temp until are addition gets finished, the tank will be moved twice within a months time). Even thought of building something with 2 x 4's with casters on the bottom, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be strong enough.
Has anyone ever used anything to move a tank or does anyone know any kind of garage tool that would work for this...? Any ideas?????
Thanks in advance, Lisa

chipmaker

A 200 gal tank is quite a heavy item. I assume its already full and in operation, so your really going to have to drain the water out and also reduce any substrate and rock etc in the tank Then perhaps depending on the floor material and the stand its on, you may be alble to move it up slightly and slip a piece of carpet etc under stand, then do the other side and perhaps then you can slide it. If floor is carpeted already slip a piece of cardboard or formica under the stand and carpet to allow it to slide . No way would I lift it if it has anything in it.

team2jndd

You are better off moving the stand and tank seperately. Just be careful because with a tank that heavy its easier to mess up the seal.

blueberryboomer

We are taking the tank totally down, everything out. We have decided to build a new stand with heavy duty casters that lock. I dont have any fish or corals in there right now so we decided to empty it and put the water, sand and rock in big buckets with powerheads until our pool room is done then move it out there. Then its going back to total reef with a small school of tangs. Can't wait....
Thanks for the ideas.
Lisa