Question about my LARGE emperor angel.

clim221

I got him a couple days ago and he doesn't seem to want to eat. I have a 150 flwlr tank, I feed him nori(my tangs eat it fast) formula 1 and 2 pellets, and copped silver sides, squid, and seafood. He just doesn't seem interested at all. What should I do?

nicetry

How large is the angel? The trouble with buying adult specimens is that often they are poor eaters.
If you see the fish grazing from the rock, that would be encouraging. Try adding some other things to the diet; chopped mussel, clam, mysis shrimp, sponge based foods, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, etc.. Actually it's not uncommon for a new fish to refuse foods for a few days so be patient.

clim221

Well he is show size, about 8-9 inches, very active and healthy but just wont eat, is there any kind of formula especially made for large angels that will encourage him to eat?

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist , try placing either Kent Garlic or some entice directly onto its food ( soak the food in the garlic or entice ) and your fish should be encouraged to eat at its feeding time .

keith burn

Originally Posted by nicetry
How large is the angel? The trouble with buying adult specimens is that often they are poor eaters.
If you see the fish grazing from the rock, that would be encouraging. Try adding some other things to the diet; chopped mussel, clam, mysis shrimp, sponge based foods, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, etc.. Actually it's not uncommon for a new fish to refuse foods for a few days so be patient.
Look up Chronic Anorexia in Aquarium Fishes is a good read may help.

geridoc

I am more worried that the fish was apparently added to your DT without quarantine. When we got our emperor it took almost two weeks in quarantine before it began to seriously eat. Quarantine is about more than disease prevention - it gives a new, stressed fish time to become accustomed to eating without having to compete with the voracious eaters already in the tank.

ccampbell57

My advise with this after having many Large angels is to:
1. contact the vendor where you bought the fish from and find out what they were feeding it and do the same.
2. if the angel is grazing on the rock, then spread formula pellets on the rock where he grazes and he should eat the pellets.
3. soak the nori and all other food in garlic
4. if he does not eat in the next few days, I would remove him from the DT and place him in QT with some other parasite prevention meds.

clim221

thank you all for your advice, on the seventh day he start eating brine shrimp and is doing very well, i placed some formula 1 and 2 pellets on the rocks and he ate a few while he was picking at the rocks, he picks at the rocks constantly looking for algae to graze on. :)

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Offshore80
My show emperor would only eat live sponges. So I had to buy them and place them in the tank for him to pick at.
There are a couple of excellent frozen foods, that contain sponge, on the market; my angels love the stuff.

lesleybird

Hi, I always use live brine shrimp to keep large angels from dieing before they learn to eat aquaruim fare (I know it does not have much nutrition). In the wild these fish all know how to eat live swimming plankton (like live brine). My Majestic and Scribbled angel cannot resist frozen mysis but do not like the frozen angelfish formula with sponge...don't know why. If your fish likes picking at the rocks then keep tossing the pellets on the rocks and also try some of the red seaweed sheets placed onto a small rock with a rubberband. Another thing is that he is probably very unhappy after living to 9 inches for many years in the ocean. He probably had a mate and a life with a territory that covered many many square yards and now he is in hell in a little 150 gallon box. It is best that a fish that grows to this size is put in at least a 300 gallon tank. He may never be happy in there. It would have been better to take a 4 inch one than to take an adult. Good luck, Lesley

ladylinn

all my fish includig the eel all love all the formulas, trigger and wrasse food andl ove spectrum pellets.