Question about octopus?

346ss

Ive never owned any fish (besides the goldfish i had when i was like 8), and was wondering how difficult it would be to have an octopus? i see you have to keep them by themselves, kinda like my pet snake, so im guessing you wouldnt need a HUGE tank? ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated! thank you
-Joey

nycbob

octopus is very very difficult to keep. ur tank needs to be tightly seal since octopus can sqeeze thr even the tiniest space. they dont live long at all. in the wild, maybe 2 years. in captivity, maybe 1 if conditions r met. they also need lots of hiding space. they dont like lights at all. people who buy them r wasting money imo.

346ss

really? that is too bad. i didnt know they lived short lives.. its a shame because i think their awesome creatures! you learn something new everyday. thanks for your input

346ss

anyone else? ive been searching the web and found a good amount of videos on youtube of pet octupus' and they look awesome. i might have to give it a try!

groupergenius

Originally Posted by 346ss
anyone else? ive been searching the web and found a good amount of videos on youtube of pet octupus' and they look awesome. i might have to give it a try!
No...Don't. You allready said you have zero experience with saltwater critters..
Why attempt one of the hardest to keep right off the bat?? Keep a Bengal Tiger in your bedroom for 6 weeks ....then we'll talk.

346ss

id rather not keep a bengal tiger in my room. thanks for the suggestion though. so please explain to me why its so hard to keep salt water critters?

346ss

thank you sigmachris.. i just found that sticky, and im also searching on the TONMO site! good info! thanks for the help

uberlink

Spend at least a few years keeping more ordinary salt water animals, and then consider it. Not before then!

texasmetal

Originally Posted by uberlink
Spend at least a few years keeping more ordinary salt water animals, and then consider it. Not before then!
This is good advice. I started this hobby for the sake of one day keeping an octopus. I gladly ditched my freshwater stuff when I discovered someone can realisticly keep an octopus. I started slowly, with a 10 gallon tank, a couple of easy-care coral frags, a goby, and some shrimp. After my confidence grew I kept more stuff, and more tanks, and finally 2 years later I had the guts to try an octo. It lived for 4 months... and as pathetic as that is, it was a dwarf (my avatar) and its lifespan would have only been 6-8 months typically anyway, so I call it a success. 4 months success? Sucks. BUT! Not any other critter I have kept was nearly as cool... except for my diurnal O. filosus. She was bigger, active during the daylight hours, and took food from my hand. You can see videos of her on Youtube if you search for "octopus tuvalu". I got her from this website. She did however die 3 weeks after I got her, and I can't explain why.... and that my friend is pretty common with these creatures.
They are about as close to alien lifeforms as we will probably ever see, and it's neat to be able to sit and stare at one for hours in your own home... instead of watching clips on the internet or rewinding documentaries over and over to see the neat things they do.
If you look around long enough you will probably find some tank bred Bimacs. This would be the way to go because you should be able to determine the age, and as long as they are only a few months old, you should have around a year, maybe more with it.
Saw your post on TONMO, so I had to see what was going on over here at the swf.com forums. Welcome to the wonderful world of ceph addiction.

people say octopus's are super smart, and they can escape out of any little crevice. well you think if they were so smart they would of realized that there is no water outside of the tank so why leave? lol just had to say that

kayak385

346ss: Before even thinking about this hobby realize that you either already have patience or that you are going to use this hobby to develop patience. I chose this hobby to develop patience. I'm not telling you to sit and watch the grass grow, but this is one hobby where the turtle wins the race.
This hobby will teach you so much about life that its worth every bit of it.
Another Plus: compare a fish tank to a dog or cat. Feeding fish is easy, in the right amounts. Dogs and cats tear up garbage cans if you feed them too little, and feeding them too much makes them lazy. And what happens when you feed your pets? They go No.2 and with fish, there isn't much cleanup. You don't have to let them out or clean the litterbox.
Originally Posted by TexasMetal
This is good advice. I started this hobby for the sake of one day keeping an octopus. I gladly ditched my freshwater stuff when I discovered someone can realisticly keep an octopus. I started slowly, with a 10 gallon tank, a couple of easy-care coral frags, a goby, and some shrimp. After my confidence grew I kept more stuff, and more tanks, and finally 2 years later I had the guts to try an octo. It lived for 4 months... and as pathetic as that is, it was a dwarf (my avatar) and its lifespan would have only been 6-8 months typically anyway, so I call it a success. 4 months success? Sucks. BUT! Not any other critter I have kept was nearly as cool... except for my diurnal O. filosus. She was bigger, active during the daylight hours, and took food from my hand. You can see videos of her on Youtube if you search for "octopus tuvalu". I got her from this website. She did however die 3 weeks after I got her, and I can't explain why.... and that my friend is pretty common with these creatures.
They are about as close to alien lifeforms as we will probably ever see, and it's neat to be able to sit and stare at one for hours in your own home... instead of watching clips on the internet or rewinding documentaries over and over to see the neat things they do.
If you look around long enough you will probably find some tank bred Bimacs. This would be the way to go because you should be able to determine the age, and as long as they are only a few months old, you should have around a year, maybe more with it.
Saw your post on TONMO, so I had to see what was going on over here at the swf.com forums. Welcome to the wonderful world of ceph addiction.

I must say that you do a great job on your article on Keeping an Octopus.
With that said, I don't understand why you would make the video "Tuvalu flashing colors". This video shows that you are just throwing your hand at the tank scaring it to the point of what we ourselves would consider as convulsions. I understand you want to show people what they have the ability to do, but I don't think that it was in the best interest of the Octopus.

346ss

i think i have patience.. and i could learn to use more patience.. working on cars takes a good amount of patience, so i think i can handle the stress of a fish tank/aquarium. anyways, you expcet since im out in the pacific northwest ill be able to find some nice exotic fish stores to find some equipment! maybe ill just catch a giant octopus out in the Puget Sound and keep it as a pet ;)

krazekajin

I will have to agree with everybody who has said that Octopus are a difficult animal to keep. However, they are not in the sense that they are harder than any other saltwater fish. It is just that they need a closed containter since they tend to be escape artists. Also thier feeding requirments can get expensive. Some octopus will eat frozen fish pieces, but many sucessful octopus keepers feed live crabs and shell fish. This can become pricey.
I applaud your wanting to find out more about keeping octopus. I have wanted to keep one but I just don't have the space. I have research extensively and I have all of the neccessary things except floor space. They are not impossible and if one has the patience and willingness to learn, they would be a great pet.
Check out one of the issues in Tropical Fish Magazine. There is an issue dedicated to octopus and cuttlefish. Very informative.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by kayak385
I must say that you do a great job on your article on Keeping an Octopus.
With that said, I don't understand why you would make the video "Tuvalu flashing colors". This video shows that you are just throwing your hand at the tank scaring it to the point of what we ourselves would consider as convulsions. I understand you want to show people what they have the ability to do, but I don't think that it was in the best interest of the Octopus.
I don't think "convulsions" is the right word. Startled, yes. It wasn't my intention to startle the animal, and if I had startled it to a point of absolute fear it would have inked and retreated. They are playful and reactive, just like some of the more personable fish, or dogs, cats, and if you watch that video closely toward the end (which is the part I suspect you are talking about), just as Tuvalu dashes away from me (after approaching my hand through the video) she dashes right back at me. She was bold. She would have climbed up my arm if I'd let her. It is more like a game of tag, "catch me if you can" but you would have to have known and understood this particular octopus. Not all of them have the same personality or tolerance for such activities. That said, I would never reach my hand in the tank and try to chase the octopus around. That would indeed bring unwarranted stress on the animal. I would never do anything intentionally that I felt would potentially cause the animal ill-health, or make the animal resent me. All the same, I appreciate your attitude and opinion. What's best for the animal should always be the first consideration when purchasing a new pet.
On a side note, "Leaving them in the ocean" seems to be a common response to "what's best for fish", but realisticly... how many fish die of old age in the ocean? Likely less than 1%, and those are probably just too big to be eaten.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
Check out one of the issues in Tropical Fish Magazine. There is an issue dedicated to octopus and cuttlefish. Very informative.
Check out the O. mercatoris picture in Nancy Kings article

mie

Hey 346ss were in the northwest u from? I am assuming seattle. I am in vancouver.....................WA not canada..