Question about "Plate Corals"

phishman1

I purchased a nice plate coral yesterday afternoon. In the store it looked great. The "nodules" were sticking up just fine and the overall color was a light pink.
I put it on the bottom of my 55 gallon and today it looks nothing like it did yesterday, it sort of has a "bleached" look and the nodules are not noticeable.
My water is fine as every other coral is doing wonderfully as are the fish.
Do these take time to come back after being introduced into a new tank?

the claw

IMO, these corals don't transport the best. I rate them right in there with elegance corals. Once they survive the shock, they seem to do quite well, and aren't that hard to take care of. I wish I could see this more in literature. It seems they rate these as "EASY".

nm reef

Long tentacle plates are a lot more difficult than the type with short tentacles. Why...I'm not sure and I've never found a good reason....just the way it is.
I've kept a short tentacle type for a few years now and it continues to do well. Mine acclamated real quick...but I have heard of them taking considerable time to get used to a new system. Insure that its not in a direct current...mine seems to prefer a mild or even moderate current. Give it some time to adjust....and try to offer it some small pieces of meaty type foods. Mine likes silversides/mysis/shrimp/krill etc.
Be patient and provide a stable water chemistry......best of luck. Hope yours does as well as mine has.

phishman1

I now understand from a visit to a book, where I obviously should have gone first !!!!!!!!!! I know, I know........
I didn't do anything but adjust it for temp only when I introduced it into my tank. I should have acclimated it slowly.
Now my question is, since it is bleaching, with no sign of tenticles, should I dispose and try again with another, this time using my brain a little?

dattong

I placed my long tentacle plate on a rock and it's doing very well. I've noticed that it does very well if fed daily. it'll take any food that lands on it. I've had it for almost 5 months

tiffster

mike (B T C) Did you get one of those green plates from E.U.? If so he only charged me $ 9.00. Hee hee. I put mine on the bottom too, but your tank is really deep. ( deeper than most 65's for those of you who haven't seen his tank.) Watch it I guess. May have to move it closer to the light. You will run the risk of it falling though. Oh, I got a baby clown for the 55 gallon today along with a bunch of rock for the 55. It's looking really nice!!
Tiff