Question about powerheads

ikon

Hi im new here, names Ivan. I had a 100g with a fluval 404 a skimmer dont remember the brand, a few powerheads and a corallife light two years ago and everything went to pooo after the 8 month mark. I started getting those spiral worms everywhere and red algea... In short I broke it down and never looked back cause all my corals died and the fish kept getting sucked into the fluval.
I love the ocean but i live in Nevada but i just got lucky. I was walking my dog and one of the neighbors asked if i wanted an aquarium I said no and she said please take it so i looked and its a beautiful 60g acrylic drilled and ready I cleaned it up added my left over salt hooked up the ehiem she had and the lifegard heater and added my corallife light plus I went out and bought a penguin 350 cause the ehiem looked as if there wasnt much presure.
Now my question is, (I know i messed up the last one. After reading here all night I realised I was supposed to do water changes. I didnt know that. (stupid I know) but the lfs always said with that fluval you dont have to do anything ever again including water changes...)
I wanna do this right this time...
So how many powerheads should I get to get good water circulation?
This will be a reef tank well lit with good filtration. Any ideas? and how about gph? what size?
Thanks... Sorry the post is so long.

sign guy

welcome to the boards. as far as ph's go maxi jets are a good brand and for a 60 gal Id get 2 900's they kick out aroung 200gph apiece

row

For a reef tank I think your tank has to cycle its water between 20-30 times. As far as power heads, I like MJ, but they are kind of bulky. I just purchased a Reno 800 (200 GPH), it is much more compact than a MJ and IMO does a great job.

aztec reef

Ivan , don't forget to use RO water for the water changes, also for the powerheads you're gonna need enuf flow to give you a turnover rate of 15-30x per hour.

ikon

thanks for the help... I have good water that tests clear of all in this new house plus im using the RO