question about reef tanks

skipperdz

im planning on upgrading from a 12g nano to a 55g reef. my question is when you have so much more lr how do you handle invert molting with out moving all the rock? do you just let it stay in there? outta sight outta mind? my 12g is easy because i can see everything, but im curious to know how u handle that in larger tanks w/ alot of lr

rbaldino

Obviously, if you can see it and reach it, you want to get it out. Sometimes you can't really do anything about it though.

skipperdz

yea i just didnt want my levels to go nutty if i dont get them out. although it is a 55g so i have more leeway than my 12g

tree

The molt will not hurt anything in your tank. It will slowly dissolve over a couple days. It is after all mostly calcium. Just leave it in unless the sight of it causes you some sort of distress. I've only pulled molts out occasionally to determine that they are molts and then I drop them back in if its a molt. I've learned to tell the difference now between a molt and a dead invert now.

reefnut

A 55g with LR can handle a LOT more than a 12g. Meaning things such as molts will have little to no impact on the water quality. In addition the cleaners will be more abundant and should make short work of molts and anything else they can find to consume...

gatorwpb

I had a peppermint shrimp molt stuck on my MJ screen intake. It was pretty funny because I first bugged out thinking that my shrimp was stuck in the intake.
But the molts dont generate any noticeable nitrate at all in my tank. I just leave them.

wax32

I have never removed molts from any tank, little or big. It's just an empty shell, it shouldn't affect your water quality at all.

chrisarc

Skipperdz if your really interested in starting a reef I live in bonita and I can hook you up with some zenia and softies free of charge. Im actually gettin ready to prune some of my softies so shoot me an Email if your interested.Its reefman1@earthlink.net

teresaq

Originally Posted by chrisarc
Skipperdz if your really interested in starting a reef I live in bonita and I can hook you up with some zenia and softies free of charge. Im actually gettin ready to prune some of my softies so shoot me an Email if your interested.Its reefman1@earthlink.net
any good fish stores in bonita. I'm in north cape coral and looking for something different.