Question about refugium

D

dholmblad

Alrite I have 90 gal reef set up that has been set up for about 2 or so years It was fishless and nothing in it for about a year And I just started putting stuff in it. I have been hearing about refugiums and when I try and research them All I find is people asking questions about them. I know you need a smaller tank which i have.
I need to know what it does, how it helps.
How to connect it in my loop
Can i set it up on a tank that is alrdy cycled?

dburr

Refugium= refuge for pods. A place where they can multiply free from preditors.
It will help feed your tank when pods multiply there and will also in time make it up to your display.
You can set it up at any time. You need an overflow, tank and return pump to get it going. Some add a DSB, macro algae and LR.
That should help you get started.

funkyman

Don't mean to horn in here, but these are some of the same questions I've had myself. I'm contemplating a CPR Aquafuge. The pods will migrate into the main tank on their own? You don't have to move them yourself, say to keep a Mandarin in food supply?
Thanx for letting me butt in.

scorphntr

I have been wondering some of the same things. What if I don't plan on keeping a Mandarin? What other fish eat pods?
If I don't plan on keeping a Mandarin, whats the point of the fuge?

dogstar

HI,
A refugium works just like a sump only w/ a fuge in the middle. Typicaly they are DIY and made from a standered long tank or cut and glued acrylic. They are divided into 3 chambers w/ sets of baffles which are 3 pains of glass to make all the water flow over the first baffle, then under the second baffle and over the third into the next chamber. The first chamber is where the main tank drains to from an overflow befor it goes thru the first set of baffles to the fuge chamber. Any equipment like skimmer, UV ster. ect should be in or pump from the first chamber. The 2nd chamber has a deep sand bed and small LR and plants wher micro life can thrive, pods ( small buglike crustations ) worms, snails, mysid, stars, ect. This life helps filter ( eat ) leftover food, ect. from the water. It also will get sucked from fuge and into MT thru main return pumps. This provides a variaty diet for fish manderines, butterflies, ect. and keeps them healthier. You can also place filter sponges in the fuge to collect pods and then shake them out into the main tank. The plants like calaripa and others help to absorb the nutriants like phospates out of the water so nuisance algea like hair algea, ect does not grow so easy in the MT. The fuge area will need a light source for the plants. From the fuge, water then flows thru the last set of baffles to the pump chamber where it is pumped back to the main tank. There are many veriations from this typical design but this is ment to be a simple explination. Hope it helps and does not confuse.
This is not a good pic but this is my fuge. I have bioballs in my fist chamber and the pumps are to the right and cant be seen.

T

thomas712

Refugiums have a seperate chamber from the main tank but shares the water column and this give us more water volume, which leads to water chemistry stablity.
They may contain live rock and/or live sand which gives us more natural biological filtration.
They can be used with or without a lighting system, but this would depend on what you design as a refugium.
Refugiums allow uninhibited organism development free of usual grazers, thus you can grow pods, shrimp and worms in an enviroment free from molestation.
They can provide a place for seperating some of the animals that you keep that wind up fighting, or a temp home for some critters that you need to get out of the main display.
They provide a method of cultivation of food for your system ie.. phyto, pods, macro algea if you have a tang that would eat them.
You can grow macro algaes for natural filtration and food
It is possible to even use for breeding fish.
I find that I can place my bags of animals that I need to acclimate right into the fuge and run a drip line to them, so I don't need to drip into a bucket, though I do need to empty water from the bag to the bucket.
With a reverse lighting schedual you can wind up with a much more stable pH by using a fuge.

D

dholmblad

Thank you so much for input.
Any one have diy guide for refugium?

D

dholmblad

Thanks.
I alrdy have a large 20 gal or something sump, can i set up a refrigerum in that?

D

dholmblad

Alrite I got a set up that I am thinkin abuot. I have 10 gl tank that I can set next to the current sump and put the skimmer in that. Or have the refugium in there which should i do?