Question About Small Aquarium?

jcsurfn

Hi!
I saw a 20 gal. salt set up at my lfs. it looked really cool. It was separated by a black piece of plexie glass that made for a overflow to the back part of the tank. Where they had lr and culupa and a return pump the pushed the water back through a head into the main tank. Anyone seen what I am talking about?
Well I was just wondering how hard these might be to take care of? I was also wondering if you could get just a 20 gal. and make that back piece yourself and silicone it in? Also how hard would that be.
I had a 55 gal. that I have to take down.
Thank You
Jeff

gatorcsm

There is a whole forum topic dedicated to the care of small aquariums - Nano...
You should find what you need there. As far as siliconing the piece of acrylic in, yes, you could. Many people do that. That part would not be very difficult. The maintaining of a nano on the other hand can be a more difficult undertaking. Not extremely difficult with some experience which you must have had with the 55, but it is no where near as easy to keep stable with such a small volume of water.

finfin2003

I have a small nano, ten gallon tank. But I use both sites for information. So far everything is going great in my tank. Its been up and running for 2 months.
Here are some specs so you can get and idea;
ten gal
170 penguine pump/fiter
11lbs of Live rock
3 blue legs
1 snail
1 coral banded shrimp
1 clown (perc false)
I would say the biggest diffrence between the larger tank and my nano (aside from size of course) is that you HAVE to keep up on your water quality. Testing everyday.. be religious with the water changes.. and having the right equipment helps
I hope this was somewhat helpful.
Take care, good luck!!:)

beaslbob

What you saw was an in tank refugium. This provides refuge for such things a macro algae from the algae eaters in the main tank area. No reason the plexiglass has to be black, it could be clear so you could see the macro and live rocks. Should work fine as long as the tank water circulates through the refugium area as well as the main tank area.
Maintenance of any tank should be much easier with a strong growth of macro algae.

ophiura

finfin2003,
Sorry, but I had to edit the link. This board is sponsored by SWF so we just kinda help out with not giving links to other such sites (that have competitor sponsors and all). :) No worries, just something to throw out there....besides, how about our nano forum! :D

finfin2003

oH i AM SORRY... I DIDNT REALIZE THAT
i ALSO WAS UNAWARE WE HAVE A NANO FORUM
SORRY AGAIN!:eek:
I JUST GOT SPANKED BY THE FORUM POLICE!!! HAH

jcsurfn

Hi!
I am sorry for the post here. I was not awear that it was refered to as a nano tank. it is still salt so we can talk about it right?
Thank You
Jeff