Question about splitting anemone...

bon-bon489

I've done research about anemone's splitting... and from what I read... they split due to stress or extremely good conditions. I'm just wondering if anybody has any personal experience on this topic... I currrently have a BTA (at least I think that's what is it), kinda hard to identify after doing all the research on-line cause it looks like a couple of them... Anyway... Mine hasnt split... but I have been feeding it frozen shrimp and from the looks of it... it seems to be getting bigger and I wanted to know the risks of it possibly splitting.
Thanks for any advice.

perfectdark

Anemone splitting is commonly due to stress not perfect water conditions. The flip side of this is a: how long has the anemone gone prevously without splitting? and b: how big is it?Under those conditions healthy splitting can be assumed. Anyother type is considered to be a sign of stress. While I dont think yours is splitting, I do believe it is a bit bleached in its base area and its tenticles. Its foot and upper disk looks like it has good color and offering it proper light and supplemental feedings IMO It should recover.

bon-bon489

Yeah... Its not splitting... I was just wondering the risks of splitting. Because I have heard the more you feed it and the bigger it gets it will split... so I was just wondering. Ive had it for about 3 months now and it has been doing great... I agree its a bit white/bleached but everything seems fine

bon-bon489

When I purchased the anemone it looked like this... and hasnt changed in color since. What kind of lighting is required? I have a 55 gallon tank. Right now I have two 120 volts, 19 watts... 24'

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by Bon-Bon489
http:///forum/post/2471295
When I purchased the anemone it looked like this... and hasnt changed in color since. What kind of lighting is required? I have a 55 gallon tank. Right now I have two 120 volts, 19 watts... 24'
That explains it...you have nowhere near the required light for that....a t5 fixture or mh is whats needed

bon-bon489

Hmm... Guess I better start doing some research and find the prices of the correct lighting... thanks for the info... and once again I learn that you can never trust or listen to the people at the pet store!!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bon-Bon489
http:///forum/post/2471310
Hmm... Guess I better start doing some research and find the prices of the correct lighting... thanks for the info... and once again I learn that you can never trust or listen to the people at the pet store!!

Before any action is taken in this hobby research should be the first thing you do. Impulse buys or advise from a place that makes $$ off your decision is IMO the wrong place to start.

bon-bon489

All i can say is that I learned the hard way about listening to my pet store. Nothing I can do about that now... but in the future my decisions will not be based on their advice anymore.