Question about sump and skimmer

raven63630

I just got my new 125 RR and want to put a DIY sump under it.
Need suggestions on what size tank I can use and what skimmer that would fit in it. Also need suggestions on return pump.
Thanks for the help
Danny

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Raven63630
http:///forum/post/2515031
I just got my new 125 RR and want to put a DIY sump under it.
Need suggestions on what size tank I can use and what skimmer that would fit in it. Also need suggestions on return pump.
Thanks for the help
Danny
You really want to fit as big of a tank as you can fit under your stand. The bigger the better when it comes to sumps. Not really sure on any suggestions for skimmers but ive heard some good things about euro-reef skimmers. For return pumps you should go with a magdrive. They are really powerful and I have heard nothing but good feedback about them.

raven63630

I guess my next question would be if I put a 55 gallon in for a sump would I be able to find a skimmer that would fit and still have room to get to the collection cup?
Thanks for the help

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2515142
I guess my next question would be if I put a 55 gallon in for a sump would I be able to find a skimmer that would fit and still have room to get to the collection cup?
Thanks for the help
Definatley. My skimmer is a SeaClone and it fits in my 20 gal sump easy.

D

dennis210

Definately go with the 55 for the sump - the bigger the better - you won't be sorry. Measure from the bottom shelf of stand to where the bottom of tank will be. That is the maximum hieght you have to work with. I like 4 inches less than max to work with. Skimmer hieghts vary so check out a few. If you have to turbo "shorty" will work in most cases. Figure out what all you want to put in there and design accordingly. For a return pump I like Quiet One series! Also if your tank isn't drilled think about having it done, you will be much happier than with a U tube type overflow box.

fishfreak1242

You also have to make sure that the skimmer can handle the amount of water in the DT and Sump. So you should go with a skimmer that can do about 130-150 gals in your case.

raven63630

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2516002
Definately go with the 55 for the sump - the bigger the better - you won't be sorry. Measure from the bottom shelf of stand to where the bottom of tank will be. That is the maximum hieght you have to work with. I like 4 inches less than max to work with. Skimmer hieghts vary so check out a few. If you have to turbo "shorty" will work in most cases. Figure out what all you want to put in there and design accordingly. For a return pump I like Quiet One series! Also if your tank isn't drilled think about having it done, you will be much happier than with a U tube type overflow box.
Ok,
I have 26" to work with, if a standard 55 is 21" tall that gives me 5", I will not have the skimmer until a lter date, will I be able to get a skimmer in tha tank after I set it up or will I have to go with a shorter sump?
Sorry if my questions are dumb, still new to all of this.
BTW I had the tank drilled with dual overflows, I have no idea on what size pump to get(I was thinking somewhere between 950 to 1200 gph. Seems like in this hobby if you ask 10 people you get 10 different answers lol.
Thanks for all the help

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2516430
Ok,
I have 26" to work with, if a standard 55 is 21" tall that gives me 5", I will not have the skimmer until a lter date, will I be able to get a skimmer in tha tank after I set it up or will I have to go with a shorter sump?
Sorry if my questions are dumb, still new to all of this.
BTW I had the tank drilled with dual overflows, I have no idea on what size pump to get(I was thinking somewhere between 950 to 1200 gph. Seems like in this hobby if you ask 10 people you get 10 different answers lol.
Thanks for all the help
You should probably figure out the dimesions of the skimmer so that you can figure out where you want to put your baffles (dividers) in your sump before you start the actual build. If you do build the sump before you buy the skimmer you might have trouble getting it into the tank when it is finished. Also the size of your return pump should be equal or a little less GPH than how much your overflow does. How wide are the holes in your overflows?

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2516578
It has dual 1" overflows.
Well one 1" overflow is around 700 gph so two of them is about 1400 gph. Your going to need a big return pump. Around 1300 GPH should be good. You should go with a external pump for the return that will be outside of the sump such as a little giant magnetic pump.

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2516666
Next question,
should I run a single return or T it off and have 2 returns?
Thanks again for all the help.
If you can find a pump big enough to be able to push all of that water back up then you dont really need a t. If you cant find one then do a t with two mag 7s. They get really good reviews and will be worth the money.

natclanwy

With a reef ready tank it doesn't really matter what size pump you use as long as you aren't pushing more water than it can return back the sump. I have an AquaC EV-180 and I really like it and it would fit in your sump with no problem as it is only 20" tall. If you set up the sump first though you will probably have to drain it to get the skimmer in since it is about 6" wide on the short side and probably won't fit between the top of the sump and the bottom of the stand. I would recomend either the Quiet One or Mag drive pumps I have used both and have had good success with them.
As far as your returns go I think I would go with two seperate pumps and returns but you could also go with one large pump and a T to divide the return.

raven63630

I was thinking maybe 2 Mag 5's or 7's if I ran 2, or a Mag 12 if I T'd it off.
I have an Aqua C Remora pro that I'm using on my 75 gal setup that I may have to use for a while. Or I made try to sell it or trade for an in sump skimmer.
I ran outta money way to fast