question about T5 lighting

izzy69

was looking to upgrade my lighting in my 55gal tank to hopefully be able to keep something esle than fish LOL...
i have been looking at this T5 4x54 watts Tek light
could anyone let me know about what i could keep with this light??
Thanks in advance

shane784

you could easily keep some beginner soft corals and LPS corals.. anemones and hard corals need stronger lights ( more wattage). general rule for lighting is to have a minimum of 5 watts per gallon. your choice of fixture is not far off. if you can, try to find a 6 bulb fixture that would increase your selection of livestock a bit.

izzy69

Well I could get the six bulb fixture but it is 14" wide and my tank is only 12"....it would be kind of hard to feed dont u think...How high off the tank would u recommend having the light

izzy69

Also ive heard that the reflectors on this fixture are a lot better than the cheaper models...I think I priced it at $340 for a six bulb fixture without bulbs....wouldn't that make a difference??

shane784

If you go with the 4 bulb fix., buy a high end brand of bulbs such as ATI, they make all the difference. if you go for 6 bulb, hang it from the ceiling about 6-10 inches off water. close enough to just allow feeding, maintenance etc

izzy69

I was planning on getting ATI bulbs....so even with the 4 bulb fixture do u think it would be enough light to keep a anemone??

shane784

i honestly don't think so; however someone else my have a different opinion. you could put one in the tank but it might not live too long if you see yourself stocking your tank with hard corals or an anemone jus invest your money in a metal halide + T5 fixture. the money you were planning on using for the 4X54 should be enough to find a 250W HQI + t5 or PC which would be able to sustain anything.

izzy69

Ok thanks a lot...I really dont like the MH but I guess I can check them out and see if they change my mind....or just might go with the 6 bulb tek...

shane784

If your interested in an investment that will last you as long as the tank itself, and pay for itself over time... also be able to grow/keep ANYthing.. look into a pair of 120W Maxspect Razor LED fixtures.. you would need 2 of them side by side and the reviews are excellent on them... granted, their 400$ a piece but if you take into account how much a set of 4 or 6 bulbs replaced over 2 years, or how much electricity a metal halide will use the first year they are much more efficient

acrylic51

I think a good T5 setup could sustain whatever you like, but with proper placement......T5's have been proven and used on SPS dominated tanks, so yes they are capable....As far as MH not a bad choice, but that's dependent on your canopy setup/design, but definitely wouldn't purchase a MH/PC combination.....PC bulbs are horrible.....
As far as LEDs another super choice.....You don't have the heat issue that could be associated with MH's or the costly bulb changes, but as far as longevity and electrical payback that is questionable......

deton8it

I have a 6 bulb ATI Sunpower 9 inches above my 90 gallon. I have a large Sebae Anemone and a small clam on the bottom of my tank. I have had both of them since January 2012. A good quality fixture with good quality bulbs is strong enough to support pretty much anything you want to put in there.
John

izzy69

Thanks for the info guys...I ended up getting a four build aquatic life t5 ho.... that thing is BRIGHT...my whole floor around it is lit up and it is only sitting 3 inches above the tank ...hell the four led moonlights it has are bright