question about temp

donpachino

my tank is always between 85 and 87 is this bad and why also my fish and corals seem fine it's been like this for some time now and notings wrong also thats the top temp around 6inch's for the top

jbirdsnest

Some coral reef environments have water temps reaching close to 90 degs. So I have no doubt that you could have a tank that ran at those temps. It is the temp. fluctuations that you have to be worried about. If your tank would drop to the low 80's at night and raise to 87 at the last part of your photoperiod you could experience issues. Stability is what you want to acheive.

calbert0

The problem with high temp is that as waters temperature increases its ability to hold oxygen decreases.
In general,
Higher Water Temp = Lower Oxygen Level
To over come this you need to increase the oxygen exchange rate of your water by increasing surface area contact (I.E greater current with powerheads and pumps, or longer tank footprints)
If you have a lot of fish and hot temperatures with low o2 exchange rate than you will be able to see them breathing laborously and may experience losses.
Since everything has been going well for so long you probably dont have anything to worry about. I would just check to make sure that your fish dont look like they are breathing hard.
Anything over 85 is kind of pushing it in my opinion though. 90 + is definitely pushing it

jbirdsnest

get some fans to blow across the surface of your aquarium. That will cool the water through evaporation and depending on how strong the fans used, could lower the temp by a few degs.