question about the picture

bek

In the last picture you showed the sand in your tank.....I have only live sand in mine and have noticed a layer of redish/brown color that has developed just below the top layer of sand. The snails and other critters keep the top layer stirred up and turned over......my question is - what is the material that is growing and is it harmful to my tank???

overanalyzer

so when you look @ your tank you see a reddish brown line part way down your sand bed? It is not on the top of your sand but buried - correct?

cliffrouse11bas

It may be cyano. Which is a sign of high phosphates or high nitrate or nutrients in the water. It could also be low water movement in that area. That is if it is cyano. It could be just an algae breakout. Try reducing the amount of time the lights are on and go from there. Test for phosphates...

bek

Originally posted by overanalyzer
so when you look @ your tank you see a reddish brown line part way down your sand bed? It is not on the top of your sand but buried - correct?

Yes....it is about 1/8" below the sand that has been turned and cleaned by the critters. Some is red and some is brown.

bek

Originally posted by cliffrouse11bas
It may be cyano. Which is a sign of high phosphates or high nitrate or nutrients in the water. It could also be low water movement in that area. That is if it is cyano. It could be just an algae breakout. Try reducing the amount of time the lights are on and go from there. Test for phosphates...

We had the water tested in 2 different places last weekend. The nitrates were high......the lights only stay on for 8 hours. If I cut back on the lights won't it slow the growth of the good algea???

overanalyzer

Bek,
The only good algea you really want to worry about encouraging is coralline algea - the purple/reddish crusty stuff that covers the back of your tank.
If the algea is buried and not on the sand bed itself then I'd not worry about it. I had someone pretty knowledgeable tell me that if it is buried down there then it is contained and it is sucking up the bad nutrients out of the sand bed.
What I've expereinced is that if the water flow changes then I get a bit of cyano popping up and I have to change the water flow to make it disappear.
If it is buried and not on your sand bed I would leave it and just keep an eye on your tank.
I would not worry about the growth of your macro's in your refugium - they will grow regardless of the changes you make based upon cliffrouse's suggestions. The growth will just slow down.
If you have Macro's in your main tank then I'd make sure you trim them back and keep them away from corals. I'd be very worried about them growing @ a high rate then deciding it was time to reproduce because it is such a great environment.
Lastly - how deep is your sand bed?

bek

Originally posted by overanalyzer
Bek,
The only good algea you really want to worry about encouraging is coralline algea - the purple/reddish crusty stuff that covers the back of your tank.
If the algea is buried and not on the sand bed itself then I'd not worry about it. I had someone pretty knowledgeable tell me that if it is buried down there then it is contained and it is sucking up the bad nutrients out of the sand bed.
What I've expereinced is that if the water flow changes then I get a bit of cyano popping up and I have to change the water flow to make it disappear.
If it is buried and not on your sand bed I would leave it and just keep an eye on your tank.
I would not worry about the growth of your macro's in your refugium - they will grow regardless of the changes you make based upon cliffrouse's suggestions. The growth will just slow down.
If you have Macro's in your main tank then I'd make sure you trim them back and keep them away from corals. I'd be very worried about them growing @ a high rate then deciding it was time to reproduce because it is such a great environment.
Lastly - how deep is your sand bed?

The sand bed is about 2" in most places....3" in some.

ty_05_f

yeah i have it too, the top is nice and clean and under that is the cyano. One reason i have it is because of when the nitrogen gas escapes from the DSB water gets trapped in that area where the bubble left causing the cyano to grow. Then the sand falls back on to where the bubble escaped so now there is no water flow to stop it and it starts to grow. It hasnt hurt my tank at all yet.