Question before getting new coral

jb rekit

Going frag/ coral shopping and was going to get the frags/ corals listed if they are available. Just wanted to know if there is anything special I need to know about them before I get one or several of them?
Colt
hammer
pagota cup
torch
bubble
The corals I currently have are as follows:
Red shrooms
Blue shrooms
2 different kinds of GSP (one is about an 8" patch)
green zoos
toadstool
finger leather
xenia
frogspawn
I have 600 watts of lighting and was wondering how close some of these corals mentioned would like to be to the light or if they just need more light period. Everything in the tank is doing great the parameters are and have been in balance. No amm, trites, trates, phosphates etc. R/O water tested at 3 on the TDS meter.
Thanks guys
John

nm reef

Colt
hammer
pagota cup
torch
bubble
All the corals you listed can do well...600 watts of what type of lighting and this is in your 180 or 75. The hammer/torch/bubble can be aggressive so allow space between them and other corals. The pagoda may be the most light demanding of the list so I'd allow a space high up for it...the others will do well with moderate light and current. Sounds like a workable list...especially in the 180.

G

grindzgreg

Hi im Dr.Fish

Well, if you ask me, 600w should be enough to support thy corals. What you should do is add some PC on the back of the tank. Ive seen this done in a conmunity college.
Stay cute:sleepy: :cheer:

jb rekit

Originally posted by NM reef
All the corals you listed can do well...600 watts of what type of lighting and this is in your 180 or 75. The hammer/torch/bubble can be aggressive so allow space between them and other corals. The pagoda may be the most light demanding of the list so I'd allow a space high up for it...the others will do well with moderate light and current. Sounds like a workable list...especially in the 180.

Its on the 180, the got turned into my fuge.
The 600 watts is a combination of my 440 watt VHO setup 2 (super actinics) 2 (50/50) and 160 watts of NO 10,000K (I think) (looks similar to my 50/50 bulb, but I know thats a bad way to determine what it is. Got them from my friend who upgraded to VHO and thought thats what they were.
One of these days I am going to split the VHO setup and put (2) 250 watt MH bulbs in the middle of the 440 watt VHOs, but I figured there is still a lot I can do with what I have now and this way I have something to look forward to in the not so distant future. I just wanted to check ahead to make sure they should do ok in what I have now.

nm reef

Sounds like a path many of us have followed...your corals should be fine...just keep in mind that your current lighting will restrict what corals you can successfully keep for now.

jb rekit

Thanks NM Reef
You already answered my post but I have another question for you if you don't mind. I made a post several days ago about pump selection and got no replies. It kinda goes in hand with my plan for getting the MH's.
Right now I have 2 700 gal pumps in the sump part of my fuge and a 300 and 500 gal/hr powerhead in my display (which translates to slightly better than a 10X turnover.
I was wanting to know peoples opinions on the in line/ external pumps such as the Dolphin, GRI, IWAKI, and HD.
My theory was that if I could replace 4 submersible pumps with one external pump that my water temp should decrease. In addition to that, I was hoping that by adding my fan back to the canopy (maybe more than one fan) that I would be able to add 2 (250 watt) MH's to the tank.
As far as the pumps go, how long do they last?
How much noise do they make?
Do they really keep from heating the water as bad as a submersible pump (if I compared the 2700 gph dolphin to the mag 2400 or 3200)