Question bout stocking a 65

hallzy

I have a 65g reef tank, which currently has:
1 Full grown engineer goby
1 yellow watchman
1 bar goby
1 Firefish
1 melanurus wrasse
A couple brittle stars, random hermits and snails, pom pom crab, and numerous corals.
How am I doing stocking as far as how many fish I have. How many more do u think I can add if any? My plan was to add a flame angel as my last fish, but if I can fit more then I will hold off in the angel for a lil while. I also wanted to eventually add a mandarin too, but Im just trying to hold out as long as possible so I can make sure im established enough. I've had it set up for a few years now, but I did upgrade tanks within that time, adding new water and rock. Im not in a huge hurry tho, I've had one before earlier on and took the risk with possibly not being established enough and pretty much watched it starve to death. I just don't wanna see it happen again. Lol
Anyways, any stocking input would be awesome! Thanks guys!

hallzy

BTW, if it is possible to add anything else before I add the flame, and maybe saving room for a mandarin later, what would you suggest? As u can probably already tell, im a fan of gobies. Lol but I would kind of like something that's more of a swimmer like the wrasse. I know alot of gobies don't so much swim around the tank alot. And obviously I like colorful fish, with the exception of the engineer (he gets a pass just because he's awesome Lol)
If im already pretty much maxed out stock wise then I wont add anything else cause my original plan was to b set after the flame anyways, but I figured it was at least worth getting some expert opinions on it, rather than not utilize any space I might have with fish! Lol

S

smallreef

no you are not maxed out... and it really depends on what you are wanting...
and you said your engineer goby is full grown so its like almost 2 feet long then right???lol
as far as a wrasses you have the option for SOOOOOO many.. especially if you like flasher or fairy wrasses :)
other than that maybe a small foxface? or a hawkfish if you dont have any shrimp...or ever want any; the geometric and longnose are cool
you could add another wrasses, another sm/med fish, then your angel, and when you have enough copepods your mandarin

hallzy

Well maybe he's not completly full grown then, he's only maybe a lil over a foot long right now. Lol as far as the wrasses go, I do like the flasher! I actually took about a half hour in the store deciding between that and the melanurus! Lol But would those 2 be able to get along together? And as for a hawkfish, I have always loved the long nose, and would have already had one by now, but I have a cleaner shrimp, and I plan on getting a fire shrimp as well, so he is out. A foxface would be awesome. Would he be too big once fully grown tho? And would he be ok with what I already have plus coral?

hallzy

You've got me really interested in a foxface now! I never even really considered it because I didn't think they were reef safe, but after searching around, it seems like everyone claims they are fine with coral! My only concern is tank size. Most sites I look at suggest at least a 75. Am I pushing it with a 65? I don't want to push any boundaries. I've tried that one too many times, thinking that as long as I keep up on everything that I can keep certain fish, even when everyone suggests that I don't. It never ends well. Usually ends with me losing nearly all my fish. Lol

hallzy

Well before anyone can even comment, im going to nix the foxface idea. I MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I don't want maybes anymore, so im not going to take the gamble. Now im back to trying to decide what to add. I kind of want one more bigger fish, with either cool color or personality. Both would be a plus! Any suggestions?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390198/question-bout-stocking-a-65#post_3454169
Well before anyone can even comment, im going to nix the foxface idea. I MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I don't want maybes anymore, so im not going to take the gamble. Now im back to trying to decide what to add. I kind of want one more bigger fish, with either cool color or personality. Both would be a plus! Any suggestions?
A lemonpeel dwarf angelfish is super bright yellow with electric blue around the eys, gills and on the very tip edge of it's fins. They swin in and out of the rocks all day, are very active and love to nip the algae on the rocks...even hair algae. Max size is 5.5 inches. It's my favorite fish.

novahobbies

I agree a Lemonpeel is a beautiful fish, but I don't think he should house a Lemonpeel and a Flame angel in a tank that size. They would probably get into nipping contests.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390198/question-bout-stocking-a-65#post_3454197
I agree a Lemonpeel is a beautiful fish, but I don't think he should house a Lemonpeel and a Flame angel in a tank that size. They would probably get into nipping contests.
Oh I didn't know he already had a dwarf angelfish, it's not on his list, but I see it now as his fish to get last. Glad you posted to let him know.

hallzy

I was actually going to ask if they would get along. I do like that fish tho! Are they pretty hardy? Maybe I will get it in place of the flame! I love he flame angel, but am a little weary about the hardiness issues I often hear about them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390198/question-bout-stocking-a-65#post_3454444
I was actually going to ask if they would get along. I do like that fish tho! Are they pretty hardy? Maybe I will get it in place of the flame! I love he flame angel, but am a little weary about the hardiness issues I often hear about them.
The only real difference is the color, they both need good stable water conditions...nitrates don't bother them much but phosphates do.

hallzy

Well if they are pretty much the same in that aspect then I think I will stick with the flame. I even tossed around the idea of a CB since from what I hear are a little less likely to have heath issues and such, but I just love the bright colors of the flame! Or I've even heard of people getting both the CB and flame and introducing them at the same time and having success, but im not sure it would be the same outcome with ny tank size. What's your thoughts on that?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390198/question-bout-stocking-a-65#post_3454458
Well if they are pretty much the same in that aspect then I think I will stick with the flame. I even tossed around the idea of a CB since from what I hear are a little less likely to have heath issues and such, but I just love the bright colors of the flame! Or I've even heard of people getting both the CB and flame and introducing them at the same time and having success, but im not sure it would be the same outcome with ny tank size. What's your thoughts on that?
No, I woulden't. It really is a shame too, they are so beautiful. I can't say any angel is hardy like a clown fish...an angel hardy compared to other angels perhaps.
A while back, I couldn't keep a flame angel alive to save myself, I paid $119.00 for the first one..that died in one days time. I got the second flame angel from SWF because of the guarantee. I had no QT and the CUC did such a good job, I never found his body, it lasted two whole days..the guarantee meant nothing. I had given up on keeping angels altogether. After my tank had been up and running for about a year after the last angel loss, I wanted something yellow. I tried a lemonpeel, I lost it when the power went out for 4 days, he was the first casualty. I replaced him with the one I have now.
They are all so gorgeous, but you can have only one, so pick the one you really want. If that happens to be the flame...go for it.

hallzy

Ok, thank u much for the advice! Im still not sure. Lol I think im going to just wait until im ready to put it in and then just start watching for them at the lfs. Whichever one I see first that looks really healthy and has nice color will be the one I get! I was thinking about just moving my clown from the 29g upstairs down to the reef cause I really like him, but im afraid he will irritate my aussie hammer if he decides to host it. And with the size of the hammer, im sure it would be very inviting. Lol Does this happen with clowns in reefs much?