Question For All The Creative Crafters Out There!

mimzy

I've got some empty wine bottles that are just too pretty to send off to the recycling plant. I'd like to use them for something really creative (as in, a bit more imaginative than a vase or a candle holder) - I was thinking of making lamps out of them but I'm SUPER SCARED to drill through the glass.....even w/ a proper bit.
anyone have any ideas? I've got two at the moment, but I can have up to six if I can find the perfect project for them

bigarn

I don't know about the crafty part Mimz, but we should have no problem keeping the empty bottles stocked for ya.

t316

My wife made an oil burning lamp out of one. Fill it up with oil, get a long wick, and some type of stone stoper at the top with a hole in it for the wick to come out. I thought the idea was silly but once I saw it I thought it looked pretty cool.

spanko

Lady across the street drilled a hole in the bottom and put some small Christmas tree lights in them. White lights in the green and the brown bottles. Make great night lights for the grandchildren when they have a sleep over with us.
As a side note I make about 200 gallons of wine a year. We give a lot away for gifts to friends and coworkers, make wine baskets with wine and wine glasses for groups raising money for charitable contributions. I tell our friends if they clean the bottles of labels and inside and bring them back to me I can refill them and give the a couple of full bottles in return.

mimzy

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2928322
My wife made an oil burning lamp out of one. Fill it up with oil, get a long wick, and some type of stone stoper at the top with a hole in it for the wick to come out. I thought the idea was silly but once I saw it I thought it looked pretty cool.
i saw some instructions 4 this online, it looks absolutely beautiful - great idea!!! especially 4 outdoor parties in the springtime. might have 2save the especially nice looking one (it's a gorgeous deep blue) for this.
I've decided to make a hummingbird feeder out of one of them and a 3rd one I just found will sit in my craft shelf until I can get up the gumption to cut the bottom off & make a lamp out of it.

mimzy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2928331
Lady across the street drilled a hole in the bottom and put some small Christmas tree lights in them. White lights in the green and the brown bottles. Make great night lights for the grandchildren when they have a sleep over with us.
As a side note I make about 200 gallons of wine a year. We give a lot away for gifts to friends and coworkers, make wine baskets with wine and wine glasses for groups raising money for charitable contributions. I tell our friends if they clean the bottles of labels and inside and bring them back to me I can refill them and give the a couple of full bottles in return.

that is supah-kewl, Spanky!! what kinda wine do you make?

mimzy

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2928319
make a statue / sculpture out of them and sell it on the Bay
i would tot keep something that involved 4myself. well... the 1st one, anyhow,

besides, I don't have NEARLY enough bottles 4 a proper sculpture, and I don't drink at all, so I'd have 2 horde them from all my friends & fam who do drink... it'd take DECADES 2 collect enough 4 something decent looking (I've got an idea 4 a garden sculpture already
)
Anyhow, as I said... i'm afraid to cut the glass or drill holes in it.
I know I'm going to have 2get over this.....
any pointers, anyone?

spanko

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2928351
that is supah-kewl, Spanky!! what kinda wine do you make?
You name I have probably made it. Normal grape wines white and red. Honey (Mead), plum, strawberry, loganberry, raspberry, elderberry.

mimzy

http:///forum/post/2928357
You name I have probably made it. Normal grape wines white and red. Honey (Mead), plum, strawberry, loganberry, raspberry, elderberry.
wow, MEAD???? AWESOME!!!!! Mead is supah-yummy!!!!
do u make anything sweet and sparkly for big babies like me?

spanko

A lot of what I make is from concentrated juice kits. They are the normal wines, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, etc. etc. Have not made anything sparkling but I have bought kits that make wine coolers, strawberry merlot, green apple pinot grigio etc. etc. and add more sugar to the concentrate to boost the finished alcohol content. So the end result is a nice sweet wine cooler for the "ladies" but with a 12% alcohol level. (normal wine coolers are in the 6% range.)
BTW did you know mead is made from honey?

mimzy

http:///forum/post/2928382
A lot of what I make is from concentrated juice kits. They are the normal wines, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, etc. etc. Have not made anything sparkling but I have bought kits that make wine coolers, strawberry merlot, green apple pinot grigio etc. etc. and add more sugar to the concentrate to boost the finished alcohol content. So the end result is a nice sweet wine cooler for the "ladies" but with a 12% alcohol level. (normal wine coolers are in the 6% range.)
BTW did you know mead is made from honey?
yes, actually - I do know mead is made from honey
Oddly enough, when you're a religious Jew u have 2 know what your booze is made of, b/c only certain things can be used for certain ceremonies!

mimzy

yah it's all very complicated... for instance.. the blessing before Sabbath dinner MUST be said over a drink made from RED grapes, this means that grapejuice is fine, but white zinfandel is not. and etc. oh it just goes on and on. LoL.
the Hubbs & I had some good Mead at the NY Ren-Faire 2 years ago. it was a liiiiiiiittle bit strong, but I think they do that on purpose over there
that stuff is TASTY. I've also had some great logonberry wine and even some wine made from strawberries - but it's not called wine... I 4get the name 4 it....

spanko

Country Wine???
Mead with fruit is Melomel.
Mead with spice is Metheglin
Mead with grape is Pyment
Yes the sugar content of honey tends to up the final alcohol content....good stuff.

snakeblitz33

wine isn't that hard to make, I've made several batches - (the first two or three NEVER turn out right)
I'm sure you can find some instructions online about how to do it, but it can be done cheaply with 2 liter bottles of coke and some airline tubing. (and of course concord grape juice, sugar, and red wine yeast.) You can also use read red grapes, but I hate having to rack then two and three times, and you don't get as much wine out of the batch.

mimzy

it would be kinda silly 4me 2make wine... like i said.... i don't drink. i wouldn't even be able 2 taste it 2see if it was any good!