Question for guitar players

johnbob

I'm been wanting to learn how to play guitar so I bought a Agile AL-2000 from rondomusic. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience or an opinion on Agile Guitars? Also I still need to get an amp. The 3 choices I've narrowed it down to are the Line 6 Spider lll, Peavey Vypyr 15w, or the roland cube 15w. I just want to get an opinion on which is the better of the 3?

pontius

the Rondo is probably a decent guitar for the money you paid for it (if you didn't overpay). it's probably around the level of an Epiphone. but if you get into playing a really like it, you'll be wanting a newer nicer guitar down the road anyway. the desire to buy "just one more" guitar is about the same as wanting to buy "just one more" fish.
I personally would not get any of those amps. The Roland and Line 6 are crap. I would try to find a tube amp. there are sounds you'll get from a tube amp that you simply will not get from a solid state or "modeling" amp. imo, the amp you play is more important than the guitar.

johnbob

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2988382
I personally would not get any of those amps. The Roland and Line 6 are crap. I would try to find a tube amp. there are sounds you'll get from a tube amp that you simply will not get from a solid state or "modeling" amp. imo, the amp you play is more important than the guitar.
Awesome, I'm not getting the amp until wednesday(day the guitar arrives). Do you have any suggestions on a good beginner tube amp?

pontius

you probably won't find any tube amp for much less than $600. let me go back and change up what I said earlier......one of these type amps you had listed would probably be ok to learn on. granted, it won't be like a tube amp. and you'll probably want a tube amp one day. but you should get whatever you can afford right. I would still recommend looking at the Vox Valvetronix amps over what you had listed though.
the downside of a tube amp, is that to get that "right" sound, you have to have the volume cranked. and if you're just learning to play at home, that would be unbearable to anyone else in your house. so in that respect, a solid state amp is the right choice because you can play at low volumes and many of them have headphone jacks.
so yeah, look at the Vox and maybe the other ones you had listed. I don't personally like the Roland and LIne 6, but they'd be good enough to learn on.

salty blues

If you go with a low wattage(5 to 10 watts) tube amp, you won't neccessarily have to play loud to get a good sound. There are actually several good little tube amps to be had in the $300 range. Check out ones by Fender, Epiphone, Peavey and others. Personally, I would get a tube amp any day over solid state.

pontius

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2988584
If you go with a low wattage(5 to 10 watts) tube amp, you won't neccessarily have to play loud to get a good sound. There are actually several good little tube amps to be had in the $300 range. Check out ones by Fender, Epiphone, Peavey and others. Personally, I would get a tube amp any day over solid state.
Epiphone does indeed have a 5W tube amp that is $199. don't know if it would be any good or not.
Fender doesn't make anything in that range. the Blues Jr and Blues Deluxe were the cheapest they had, but they've both shot up in price recently. I bought a Blues Deluxe for $629 about 3 years ago and now they sell new for $900.