Question for Ophiura

rockhound

Ophiura, I was thinking of purchasing one of the orange linkias from this sight. My question is do you think it will survive and is ok to put in my tank?
75 gal
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm
salinity 1.025
ph 8.2
calcium - no test but have tons of coraline algae growth
temp 80
80lbs live rock--8mo old lots of pods-(good) algae
thats all the info i can think of right off hand - if you need to know anything else just ask
thanks, rock hound

sw65galma

Well i'm Ophirua's backup...
How long has your tank been set up...I usually recommend a tank that is atleast 1 yr old.
First off get your SG to 1.026, measure with a refractometer Only or a Digital meter.
Stars can't have "close enough water" like fish can.. If you are using a swing arm then your measurements are not accurate enough for a star.
You will also need atleast 100lbs of LR, in your tank i'd recommend 120lbs to make up for lack of water volume.
Linkias do not eat alage or pods...
They are "thought" as it isn't 100% known yet to eat the bacterial film off of liverock. Hence why you need such a large amont. It's more surface area than weight...
Acclimation time is very Crucial....6 Hour Drip...You'll need a 5 gallon bucket, and a small heater set to your tank temp. Also try not to expose it to air as a good measure..
If you are able to do all of this, then you have a good chance of survival..
If not...wait till you can.

rockhound

the tank has been set-up for almost 9 months
i use a refractometer and its reading the salinity at 1.025
and i always use the drip method for new tank members
so... this sight says that the orange linkia is at an easy care level instead of the blue's difficult, and it is only 2-inches big so do you guys think it will be ok to get?

wax32

Orange linckia may be easier than blue, but that is like saying diving with killer whales is safer than diving with sharks... not a lot of difference. They are both really hard.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by rockhound
the tank has been set-up for almost 9 months
i use a refractometer and its reading the salinity at 1.025
and i always use the drip method for new tank members
so... this sight says that the orange linkia is at an easy care level instead of the blue's difficult, and it is only 2-inches big so do you guys think it will be ok to get?
I'd say yes, ONLY if you plan on getting more live rock...in the near future
Cuz if not...just take the money, tie it up in a baggie and put it out with the garbage. And save yourself the acclimation time lol..

ophiura

IMO, it is marginal. Better than a blue, for sure, but still marginal in that tank size with that amount of LR. I still prefer far larger tanks and much more LR for better chance. So you might be OK, but you might not...and won't know for a year to a year and a half. A Linckia multiflora, if you can find one, might be a better candidate. But none of these seastars are "easy." I disagree with that.
to SW65 and wax
Thanks!

rockhound

ok, so i think that i will hold off on getting the orange linckia until i can get some more lr.
i don't want to get anything that i cannot provide a happy home for.
thank you all for the good advice - rockhound