Question for those of you who performed hypo for ich recently......

ibanez

How about this:
Recent developments
There is extensive phylogenetic analysis and molecular support for the taxonomic re-assignment of Cryptocaryon irritans. It was recently recommended that this protozoan ectoparasite be taxonomically reassigned to the order Prorodontida within the class Prostomatea and a new family name has been suggested, Cryptocaryonidae (Wright & Colorni, 2002).
Alarming new evidence has come to the attention of the scientific community that Cryptocaryon irritans is adapting to new environments. The parasite has been exposed to different survival pressures, necessitating its constant adaptation and variation (Yambot, et al., 2003). Several new strains have been discovered (Diggles & Adlard, 1995, 1997; Diggles & Lester, 1996a,b,c. Jee et al., 2000). It has been found in new regions, at cooler temperatures (12-16C) than previously reported (Jee, et al., 2000). Until recently, it was believed that the disease would not develop below 19C (Nigrelli & Ruggieri, 1966. Diggles & Lester, 1996b. Gordin, 1969). Highly aberrant strains have recently been found thriving in hyposaline environments in Taiwan (Yambot et al., 2003). With the news that Cryptocaryon irritans is spreading to new geographical locations and adapting to a wider range of temperature and salinity comes the need for fresh new strategies and treatments for its control.

florida joe

OK I think we need to get back to basics here for a moment and revisit how hypo brakes the life cycle of ick, so dear Renee and other please indulge me. The ick parasite in its divisional stage need to convert saline water into fresh water (all marine animals need fresh water) they do this via their tissues. The only what they can achieve this transfer is via pressure differential between the water outside their membrane and within. Minds much much greater than mine have calculated that at a salinity of 14-16 ppt there by the law of physics can be not transfer of fluids. The parasite for want of a better phrase drown in their own fluid

cranberry

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3269300
OK I think we need to get back to basics here for a moment and revisit how hypo brakes the life cycle of ick, so dear Renee and other please indulge me. The ick parasite in its divisional stage need to convert saline water into fresh water (all marine animals need fresh water) they do this via their tissues. The only what they can achieve this transfer is via pressure differential between the water outside their membrane and within. Minds much much greater than mine have calculated that at a salinity of 14-16 ppt there by the law of physics can be not transfer of fluids. The parasite for want of a better phrase drown in their own fluid

Then shouldn't this be true of all marine parasites with a like cycle?

florida joe

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3269306
Then shouldn't this be true of all marine parasites with a like cycle?
Yes the only difference is that with each marine parasite comes different divisional time frames. again all i am saying is lets prove conclusively that what we are dealing with when we say hypo fails is really the ick parasite

cranberry

We've been observing this "anti-hypo ich" for quite some time and have found it to have similar divisional time frames.

cranberry

I've seen what I am dealing with in my tank. I've seen it under a scope. It looks exactly like ich, so I assume it is similar. If not, it's an Ich Mimicry.
Gotta jump in the shower for the Armed Forces Parade.

J

jstdv8

thats funny right there!
Can I hypo a tank that has a rose bubble tip anemone and a coco worm in it too? My new addition black clown came down with it and i have a sixline wrasse in the QT as well. I'll hypo if it won't hurt the anemone and the coco worm, otherwise im going to set up a sepearte 10g Qt tank and put the fish in that one and treat with copper.

J

jstdv8

i figured as much. I'm going to set up a seperate Qt for them then since the parasite is present in the Qt they are in and let them hang out in there as long as i think i can get away with and still keep the anemone alive. I do have a piece of live rock in there with them now that was a crapy piece thats been in my sump, so I'll leave that in with the anemone to hopefully establish the tank a bit. i dunno.
So the fish will get moved to a seperate Qt to get copper treatment