Question for you experts on Bio-Balls

fishycouple

Hi...
My LFS told me since my water is perfect...0-0-0...I should remove my bio-balls from my wet dry..and let the 75 lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon reef do it's job!
I'm afraid I'll crash my tank by removing the balls...
What is the truth about the "Nitrate Factory" of a wet-dry?
The adventure continues!
Rick

R

r2

I also removed the bio balls, about 2 years ago. The tank has suffered no adverse effects. All readings are good.

terry

I agree with shark. DON'T REMOVE ALL THE BIO BALLS AT WONCE. Take two or three out a day slowly because most of the bacteria in the tank are on the bio balls right now. Removing all the bio balls at wonce will some crash a tank. I removed all the bio balls from my wet dry along time ago and I too am quite pleased with the change.
Go for it Terry

mako

I am curantly removeing my bio balls now 1/4 every two weeks I plan to install a 4" layer of live sand and some culeptra and a grow light I beleve this is called reefquim filtration and have seen examples of this in three diferent systems the plant lives off of the unwanted nutrents ie; nitrates, phosphates but it will also depleate calcium levels I have also been told that you can remove the protene skimmer but I'm not to comfortable with that idea yet