question on a T

cahuama

Hi, I'm looking to buy some lighting for a 75 gallon FOWLR, but I want to add corals so I know I need better lights than the fluorescent I have. Has anyone heard about a 48" T5HO T5 Aquarium Light Cichlid T-5 Reef Lighting or 48" SOLAR T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT SILVER 4 x 54 W MOONS, this second one says it has individual reflectors, they are both for under $200.

wangotango

You get what you pay for, and IMO you're not going to get a quality unit for under $200, $350 maybe.
-Justin

wangotango

Most of the time if not a lot of info is given on the specs, or if it's some obscure brand they're not worth buying. You're better off sticking to Nova, Tek, Aquactinics, or ATI.
If you only plan on keeping lower-light demanding coral (since you said FOWLR) 4 bulbs would be enough. If you want to go for a full-blown feef and are on a budget, the 6-bulb Nova Pro fixture would be a good choice, just swap out the Current bulbs for better ones. They aren't the best units out there, but one of the better "cheaper" ones.
-Justin

cahuama

Thank you very much Justin,
I will research the brands you mentioned, and yes I am on a budget but I would want to have some nice corals and anemones so maybe I should get a 6 bulb.
Here is the description of the light I mentioned before:
48'' long X 9'' wide and 2.5'' tall
T5 HO Aquarium Light w/ Moonlights
4 X 54 Watt T5 HO
2-10k (sunlight bulbs) INCLUDED
2- actinic bulbs included –( Blue bulbs) INCLUDED
8- 1 watt Blue LED's included (moonlights
MADE IN USA
5 YEAR WARRANTY
Ballast is highly efficient Electronic ballast w/ 5 year warranty
2'' tall legs are included as well to give a better distance between light and water.
Reflectors are the best in the industry- German Polished Independent Reflectors- This will triple the intensity of the light.
There are 3 Chords and 3 switches with this light
1- chord turns on 2 T5's
1- chord turns on other 2 T5's
1- chord turns on the Moonlights
What do you think? too good to be true?

reefraff

Sounds like the Catalina stuff they sell on SheBay. Get the Nova Extreme Pro as the bare minimum entry level T5 system. If you have a tank less than say 18" tall then the standard Nova with the flat reflector will work.

ikemeyer

When looking for your new light fixture also keep in mind whether or not you have a canopy. There are several fixtures that are not compatible with canopies and you may not realize this until after you have purchased the fixture and read its manual.