question on clams

aly

hi guys! i was just wondering if a clam would be ok in a 20 gallon? i think that they are really beautiful and want one badly. i am in the process of putting a new tank together so how long should i wait until i put a clam in there? also, how much attension do they need? would it be safe to put on in a tank that i am setting up for someone else for my senior project? they are not very tank savy and i will probibly only be other there about once a week. if there is anything any of you know about clams, let me know!! the advice is greatly appreciated!
-aly:D

aly

thanks a lot. i am going to try to upgrade and get one. that site is really cool too.

yosemite sam

A squamosa is the best "beginner's" clam as they are the hardiest of the tridacnids and don't require as much light (but you still need quite a bit relatively speaking, just not metal halides). But as BigMac notes, they grow fast so you might not be able to have one for long in your 20 gallon. One other note in terms of planning your tank, if you want to get a clam, you should get a little wrasse like a six-line or eight-line wrasse to pick off any little parasites that can hurt your clam. Obviously with a 20 gallon you're very limited to the number of fish you can have, so a small wrasse should be one at the top of your fish list. JMO