Question on Lights

bambam_250r

Hello,
I've had a 25 gallon reef for about 7 years now and am thinking of upgrading to a 46 bow front or 55 bow front. Question is, how much light? Now I have 2 65W PCs, 1 actinic and 1 10,000K on my 25gallon. I was thinking of getting either tank with 2 96W PCs 10,000K and use my 2 65W PCs with 2 actinics. Think that will be enough or too much?
Also, why are the green so much more prominent under Metal Halides?

teen

the 2x 96 watt pc will be fine for soft corals and lps. you'll more than likely have a hard time keeping sps and clams.
you can run the 2x 96w 10,000k and the 65w 20,000k no problem, it wont be too much light.

frankthetank

I have a 46bow with the current dual satellite, which is 2 96w (1 dual daylight and 1 dual actinic) total of 192w. Plenty of light for a 46g.
I would make one recommendation... be sure you get one with 3 moonlights. Mine has 1 moonlight which resides over the middle, where the middle support strap is on the tank. It doesn't block all the moonlight, but maybe blocks 1/3 of it. The current orbit would have been a better choice because it basically is the same lighting with 3 moonlights.

bambam_250r

Ok, thanks for the help. I think I'm getting the 46 bow front and the 2 96W PCs with my 2 65W pcs as actinics (or is that too much actinic?) Now, what spectrum. On my 25 I have that 10,000K and the actinic.
I see some people say they are using 14,000K or 12,000K. I know they hav 6,700K but I know to stay away from that.
Also, a lot of you have the Moonlights. Are those beneficial or just for looks?

frankthetank

Moonlights are mainly just for looks. Though some will tell you they are beneficial to reproduction and what not.
The 10k spec would be fine... if you can find a 20k that fits a satellite let me know.