Question on overflows.

forcrz6

Do you Truley need an over flow box? I was thinking on just useing some PVC piping to Syphon the water out of the Display tank in to the Sump and have a valve to adjust the amount of water going to the sump and a pump to tup the water back to the tank after filtration. On the inlet to the display tank I was going to use the extra cover for my on tank filter as so no fish can get into the line to the sump.
Would this work? instead of just buying an overflow???

forcrz6

Originally Posted by coachKLM
an overflow box works as a surface skimmer also....
Right but If you have a skimmer do you really need an overflow?

coachklm

a overflow box will stop siphoning if the water level gets to low... if you return pump gos out itwill only siphon to the bottom of the teeth. therefore maybe saving you some home repairs.

forcrz6

Originally Posted by coachKLM
a overflow box will stop siphoning if the water level gets to low... if you return pump gos out itwill only siphon to the bottom of the teeth. therefore maybe saving you some home repairs.
Ok I see what you are saying. So i wont come home one night an have to swim to turn off the piping. LOL

vanquish

Exactly. The overflow prevents well... overflow lol. With out it, if your input to the sump is greater than the output to the display, you will have serious flooding.

ccg24

Yeah if your power goes out your sump will defeintly overflow depending on how deep you go down with PVC and and you would have to make sure that you had some kinda guard to keep critters from getting sucked up

ccg24

I suggest making one out of acrilic and silicone.... I did it turned out good I modeled it after my other that I bought... to cut costs