Question

andymi

I wouldnt see an issue with that as long as there are plenty of spaces to hide and you only get one gramma in a small tank. Firefish are pretty peaceful fish from what I have read and are a good community fish, but just as grammas they are quite often tough to keep as pairs. As I said, give good current, plenty of hiding space and you should be ok. What size tank is this?
If you are trying to put them in a 10 gallon I would probably say no, but if this is 30+ you would probably be ok.
--Andy

johnay3

30 gallon. How many could I put? Just the 2? Or what about a pair of each, or another small fish to go along? Im just looking for suggestions and ideas.

nanook

Hi John
The thing to keep in mind with a Firefish is that it is not a very aggressive eater. By that I mean, food pretty much has to float in its face. It will not eat off the bottom of the tank.
By contrast, the Royal Gramma will dart around grabbing every morsel that he can see.
For this reason you need to be sure that the Firefish gets his share.
I've used mini
floating fish pellets (Nutrafin Max) with good success, since unlike flake food which invariably ends ups at the bottom of your tank, the pellets roam around the tank making it easier for the Firefish.
Hope this helps and good luck...

nanook

Yes, but also heed Andy's advice. Both these guys need lots of cracks and crevices to hide in (which live rock usually provides).
Good luck...

nasukan

If you are using sand as your substrate I would suggest you could get a jawfish or a goby. They are bottom dwellers who wont crowd the other fishes swimming room, and are usually peaceful.