Question

bizzleb01

I've just started to think that acans are pretty cool looking and was considering getting some, but I don't know a whole lot about them.. What kind of lighting, flow requirements do you need. And how durable of a coral are they. Any info is much appreciated.

mr_x

medium light, medium flow, fairly easy. respond well to target feeding meaty foods.
and...one more thing.....way overpriced.

bizzleb01

Yeah about the overpricing, but I've got a hook up on some so that's not really the problem. So would you say 4x94 watt pc's would be enough in a 90. I've got pretty good flow. What kind of meaty foods?

mr_x

i feed mine cyclo-peeze, misis shrimp, chopped fresh fish from the supermarket...things like that.
i'm not 100% sure about the lighting though. a 90 is a pretty deep tank. what else are you keeping so far, and where, and how is it doing?

bizzleb01

I've got a bunch of zoas and some shrooms. A toadstool, some gsp, a bta and a sebae. Everything looks really good and my zoas are spreading pretty good. I'm going to be getting halides eventually, just waiting for the funds to come.

bizzleb01

Yeah it eats. It could look better, but it didn't look the greatest when I got it. It has it's ups and downs.

paintballer768

Maybe put the acan mid/top area in the 90, just because its deep and you have PC lighting. Dont pay too much for em, theyre cool but its no reason to kill your account over it. Also, theyre one of the strongest corals Ive ever seen (when the tentacles attack something or a frag falls into them). If something is attacking them but the tentacles cant reach, theyre done for though.

bizzleb01

Yeah, I wouldn't spend a whole lot for them. I've got a hook up on some corals and that just happens to be one of them.