Question

marty

Ok, here it is:
Does anyone use powerheads with "quick" filters attached? I am looking at one that uses extra-fine weave of duo-density polyester pads. Are there other types of quick filters with different media?
I am looking for additional water movement for my 10 gallon tank. It currently has 11lbs of lr, 20lbs of ls, one small powerhead directed at the lr, heater and lights. My water surface is not getting much activity other than slow current movement. I am thinking I should have move activity on the surface to help oxygenate the water. No current inhabitants other then the algae and button polyps on the lr.
Thanks for your comments in advance!
Marty

kris

Water movement at the surface is very important for the reason you said. I would place that powerhead at the surface. As far as the quick style filters--I guess I'm not sure. Are you wanting to simply add something like a pre-filter type deal to attach to the powerhead?? I don't think that's really necessary. When people say "quick filter", I think of things like diatom type or powerfilters--something you add temporarily to clean up, then remove. Or are you trying to add something more permanent? Are you having water quality issues?

marty

No, not having water quality issues. The tank has only been set up since Friday 4/26/02, but is crystal clear since about 1 hr after I added everything. Since I have read elsewhere and have been told the a ph should be directed at the lr, and since I also needed surface water movement, I went looking for a 2nd ph. As I was looking, I saw the Quick filter attachment as described below:
* For fresh and saltwater aquariums
* Removes particles as small as 1 micron
* Ideal for polishing water after maintenance
"Turns your powerhead into a "Quick Filter" for extremely rapid removal of most particulate waste. An extra-fine weave of duo-density polyester pad is used. The duo-density feature allows water to be filtered down from large particulate matter to smaller micronic matter through the use of two different porosity pads. The "Quick Filter" may be used continuously, or periodically when needed, and fits just about every powerhead available today. Also allows for extra circulation when needed without the risk of the powerhead drawing in your favorite small fish or anemone. Powerhead not included."
I was thinking about using it on a limited basis and thought it might be convenient having one if things do go south. Should I even be worried about this with the set up I have?
Thanks!

those filter I think will just increase your nitrate, I would put more LR, take out the media but not the one that hold the media, this will protect your fish from getting sucked in..my tank has no filter whatsoever..just plenty of LR and water current..just a suggestion..

bammbamm74

Originally posted by jack the reefer:
<strong>those filter I think will just increase your nitrate, I would put more LR, take out the media but not the one that hold the media, this will protect your fish from getting sucked in..my tank has no filter whatsoever..just plenty of LR and water current..just a suggestion..</strong><hr></blockquote>
I agree with Jack about it being a nitrate factory. It will be hard to clean. I have 2 power heads and just use the plastic "screen" filter to keep the fish from getting in. The only filter I have is my sand, live rock and I have a partical filter I clean once a week.