Questions about chemicals and additives.

nickoz

I purchased a complete saltwater setup from someone who was getting out of the hobby. Included in the package were various chemicals and additives. I read the instructions on each but I wanted to query the collective knowledge here at saltwaterfish.com for recommendations. When to use, why to use, etc. I may know what most of you will say for a couple of the chemicals based on research that I have already done, but I figure I will give the whole list as it may help someone else reading this at a later date.
Just so you have some context, I have a 72gal bow with approx 70lb LR with 3in LS, 20-gallon sump, red sea berlin classic protein skimmer. Lighting includes 2x175w MH with 2x40w NO Actinic. I will be adding a 20 gal refugium in the next month or so.
Currently I just have a handful of Hermits, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, a bunch of small feather dusters, there seems to be lots of life in the tank, there are small worms in the LS. My goal is to purchase a cleanup crew from saltwaterfish.com later this week, from there I am going to get a couple fish, to start it will be primarily FOWLR but I am planning on adding some soft corals after I have the tank running for several months.
-Red Sea Marine Success Buff
-Ph Adjuster
-Wardley Bullseye 7.0
-Electro Right
-Kent Poly-Ox Organic Material Oxidizer
-PO4-Minus
-Strontium Chloride
-Bionic Calcium Buffer System
-Component #1, Alkalinity
-Component #2, Calcium
Thanks,
-nick

hondo

keep it simple and go slow. by this I mean use regular water changes to replace trace minerals and leave all the additives on the shelf. This way your tank will get established and you won't screw anything up by over dosing. Most of these chemicals are shortcuts and "Miracle" products that just don't work and are not necessary. Once you gain experience and your set up gets more mature you may experiment with some additives but more than likely you will realize they are only on the market to seperate you from your hard earned $$$ and they really don't do anything more than that.

hawkypro

Hondo's post to you is absolutley correct. Water changes are the best method for replacing lost elements. I only use a calcium supplement and a product called Liquid Life(Bio Plankton). Most of the stuff you buy seems to be the "miracle" solution. Though, through experience and time you will realize that less "miracle stuff" and more simple methods( water changes) will produce good results. Also, additives seem to raise nitrite levels. Happy reefing