questions about cycling 24 gallon nano

ilikesalt

so i just picked up my first corals. 2 mushrooms...one red...one blue....i picked up a colony of about 20 yellow polyps and also a candy cane..i just did some reading on the candy cane and found that they are considered hard to care for. if anyone knows anything about the candycane corals as far as how hard it is to care for them please let me know.
my digital camera is broken but once i get it fixed i will post some pictures. its amazing how with the addition of just a few things how it can change the entire look of the tank.

peef

Candy cane is semi hardy. They will need direct light from your setup in the mid to upper level. They also will need to be spot fed about once a week with mysis shrimp or some other meaty food. The yellow polyps don't need any feeding but will benefit from the addition of phytoplankton or cyclopleese. The mushrooms don't need anything either and will grow nicely for you! Congrats on the first corals man. I want to come over and check out the tank. Call me today when you are off work.

ilikesalt

my question concerns the candaycane coral. i have heard mix answers as far as feeding goes. some say to spot feed each polyp and some say if you just put some defrosted mysis shrimp in the tank the candycane will feed on that. also phytoplankton was suggested for feeding the candycane. i would be interested to hear from someone who either has had a candydcane or has one currently. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

new2salt1

8 emeralds is not too many, 20 turbos is not too many.
If I were you, I would go to other forums within this website and other websites as well. Some of the "advice" you have been given here has been suspect (to say the least).

peef

You think that 8 emerald crabs in a 24 gallon brand new tank with no diatome bloom will have enough to eat? Not even close to possible.
Phil I remembered that you have paypal if you want to pay me through that you can...
patricktmccoy@yahoo.com

ilikesalt

im going to pay you cash...
the coral i got from you are doin great..the hammer coral opened up almost emediately and look awesome and the kenya tree was slumped over when i first put it in but then this morning it was sitting straight up and lookin good. the zoos have half opened some of them have remained closed.
do you or anyone think that the kenya tree needs to be far away from the candycane? right now there is about an inch and a half in between the two.

peef

I would give it a little bit of space as the Kenya tree grows very fast. Other than that they should be fine. Glad they are doing well for you! Put up some dang pictures.

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
8 emeralds is not too many, not too many.
If I were you, I would go to other forums within this website and other websites as well. Some of the "advice" you have been given here has been suspect (to say the least).
I agree that some of the advice in this thread is suspect, starting and ending with this one.

I do think that 8 in a small new tank is too many. I would reduce the number by a few at least until the tank matures and starts to develop algae.

ilikesalt

so i finally figured out how to post a picture...
the stock list is as follows:
12 lbs of live rock
30 lbs live sand
candycane
kenya tree
yellow polyp
blue mushroom
red mushroom
hammer coral
zooanthids
2 emerald crabs
12 turbos