questions about frogspawn coral

R

rstrong

i noticed two day ago something happened to one of the frogspawn in my tank. it was not near anything that hurt it, and i have no fish that could do it either.
it is in a 72" long tank, 125 gal, with four 96 watt comp flourscent lights. there is another comp floures. too. 72" of light.
it looked like it was asleep, but there was some brown stringy thing coming from one of the heads. now the head is 'dead' , what happened?

flower

Welcome to the site...what are your nitrates reading? Either you have an eater (like a bobbit worm) or your water isn't good enought to keep LPS corals. From the looks of it, I suspect an eater.
I had a tank two years before my frogspawn was eaten by a worm. It was hiding in a rock and when it got big enough it began to feed on coral.

meowzer

Have you ever heard of brown jelly disease? Look it up and see if that is what it was...if so you will need to dip the rest of the frogspawn
you can dip it in a lugols solution, and rinse in SW afterwards...cut off the dead head too, and OH...If you do not, the rest of teh coral will also die
This coral needs a moderate flow, and realy need better lighting....how high up in the tank do you have it?.....