questions about ich

zman

i just got a 10 gallon tank a few weeks ago and now it has ich. i treated it with copper and have been feeding the fish garlic soaked brine shrimp. How long does it take the copper to get rid of the ich and how will i know when the ich is gone? I will be setting up a new 29 gallon tank soon and was wondering if i should put any of the LR from the 10g that has been treated with coper into my new tank. what do you guys think?
Zman

cprdnick

I don't know about the other questions, but absolutely nothing int the 10 gallon that has been in contact with copper should be in contact with the 29.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Zman
i treated it with copper and have been feeding the fish garlic soaked brine shrimp. How long does it take the copper to get rid of the ich and how will i know when the ich is gone?
You need to use a copper test kit that is compatible with your copper and maintain copper levels using the kit at .25-.30ppms for 3 wks.
I will be setting up a new 29 gallon tank soon and was wondering if i should put any of the LR from the 10g that has been treated with coper into my new tank.
NO.

debra w-c

Substrate and rock absorb copper. If you used this rock in your new tank you could not have any invertebrates in your tank ( no crabs, shrimps, live rocks, snails etc). The copper will leach out of the rock slowly over time and poison and kill these animals.
If you will have a fish only tank you would be fine.
When you treat fish with copper it is important to do this in a bare tank. NO SUBSTRATE, NO ROCK.
Because the rock absorbs the copper it can lower the level of copper in the water to a level that is not effective to kill the ich.
If you are currently treating fish. I would check the copper level with a copper test to make sure it is correct. It would be a good idea to pull out the substrate. Frequent water changes and suctioning off the bottem of the tank can help remove some of the parasites.
Hope that helps.:happy: