Questions about my 10g.

beatlesfan

I have a few questions about the 10g I have set-up.
1. Can I have 1 or 2 small true/false percula clownfish?
2. I have 2 25w bulbs that came with the tank, are these enough to keep SPS frags (tank is a normal 10g).
I have roughly 10-15lbs of LR and about 10lbs of sand.

new2salt1

As far as the fish, sure, you can keep 2 little guys. Buy them as small as possible, especially if you are putting them in at the same time.
How are you planning on doing the filtration? Are you making a custom overflow?

clay12340

Maroons should have something like 30 gallons minimum. They are one of the largest and most aggressive of the clown fish. Stick to the tiny guys in a 10 gallon. Perculas or Ocellaris are probably best.
SPS probably won't do well under 50w of light. You might be able to get away with some species of montiporas, but I doubt that would be enough light to sustain acroporas and other difficult families. It should be plenty for most soft corals and LPS.

debbie

I have a 10 gal that has been going for just about 4 yrs now.
If your tank is like mine and came with the incandescent bulbs they will not work for saltwater tanks. But.....Coralife has the power compact bulbs in 10watt and 20 watt 50/50 that fit into these hoods very nicely.
When you go to put these bulbs into your hood they can be snug fitting but they will work, I have used them. I prefer the 20 watt ones myself and would recommend 2 of them.
With these lights you can keep most mushrooms and leathers very well. I am currently using some different bulbs and keep mushrooms, toadstool leathers and a BTA just fine. Things are getting quite large in my tank and I have one type of mushroom that is the size of a mans hand, it is huge.
I cannot comment on SPS frags as I have never kept them. But do your homework first before buying any corals for your tank.
I use an Aqua Clear HOB filter and it works well for me.
2 fish would be perfect, like recommended get the small clowns. Don't do a Maroon Clown, I just had to give mine up. She would create a sandstorm everyday. They do get big and they are aggressive but oh so beautiful. I would recommend a bigger tank for them. The false percs (nemo type) are very cute and entertaining.
If you don't want clowns then there are: firefish ( very beautiful), the goby family, the blenny family, I love the orchid dottyback but are aggressive so be careful what you put with them. Go and see what there is to choose from in your LFS, write down the names and then post them here on this board and you will get all the info you need about them before you buy them.
Shrimps are another fun addition. The Skunk Cleaner shrimp is very neat to have. I have a coral banded shrimp in mine and he is really neat to watch but you can only have them in your tank and no other shrimp in this size of tank. I have also been told they will prey on crabs in the tank, so this is another thing to remember about this kind of shrimp. But I think the Skunk Cleaner is just fine with other inverts.
There are some nice choices to choose from out there when creating that "mini ocean" as I call it.
Take your time doing this tank and have fun. Patience is the key to this type of hobby.....

beatlesfan

I'll look around for those coralife bulbs. I just wanted to keep a few small frags from my 125g. Thanks for your help!

clay12340

If you want to keep a frag from your 125g you are best off mimicking that lighting. So if you had an Ushio 250 watt 10k bulb over that tank you'd want something similar on the 10 gallon. For instance maybe an Ushio 100 watt 10k setup. Similar lighting will keep similar color and it'll help keep them from bleaching or dying.
As to the montiporas being okay in the upper half, I can't say for sure, but I would think so. They are typically not a terribly difficult coral to keep and most of the common frags are dirt cheap. I wouldn't toss a full on show size pokerstar montipora in there as you're looking at quite a loss if it doesn't make it, but a $5 frag of a green montipora capricornas isn't going to break the bank.

beatlesfan

Absolutly no way of me replicating the lighting... on my 125g I have a 72" LED Solaris lighting system spent a pretty penny on this thing... acually 410,000 pretty pennies.
On a side note, do they NEED moonlights?